Brownie’s beach, stop #1 on our road trip

fossilnoggin

First stop on our road trip was at brownies beach Thursday. My boys, our dog, and myself had a great time!  Weather was fantastic. We walked around the bend, spent about 3 hours total. Saw lots of blueclaw crabs, some fish, and the boys had a bald eagle fly about 10 feet over their heads. And we found some teeth!  A few makos, couple of hemis, some tigers, lemons...  on the way out my son asked me to help him clear sand out of his water shoes and I found a nice fish vert in 4 inches of water just a few feet before I got to him. I thanked him for deciding to clear his shoes out at that spot. We also kept a few shells that were in good condition and will make a nice display. 

We stopped at gmr on friday, will post our results soon. Currently we are in the Charleston area and my boys REALLY want to find a meg. I do not know my way around here, but we will try to explore a creek or two in the Summerville  area, have to look on google maps. 

C849710B-AF30-420C-9567-40BBF7CEC861.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Sounds like your Road trip is going great! Hopefully you have more serendipitous finds such as the fish vertebrae. Overall, excellent finds and I hope to see the GMR finds soon.

: )

1 hour ago, fossilnoggin said:

First stop on our road trip was at brownies beach Thursday. My boys, our dog, and myself had a great time!  Weather was fantastic. We walked around the bend, spent about 3 hours total. Saw lots of blueclaw crabs, some fish, and the boys had a bald eagle fly about 10 feet over their heads. And we found some teeth!  A few makos, couple of hemis, some tigers, lemons...  on the way out my son asked me to help him clear sand out of his water shoes and I found a nice fish vert in 4 inches of water just a few feet before I got to him. I thanked him for deciding to clear his shoes out at that spot. We also kept a few shells that were in good condition and will make a nice display. 

We stopped at gmr on friday, will post our results soon. Currently we are in the Charleston area and my boys REALLY want to find a meg. I do not know my way around here, but we will try to explore a creek or two in the Summerville  area, have to look on google maps. 

C849710B-AF30-420C-9567-40BBF7CEC861.jpeg

Great haul .... megs in the Summerville area are exceedingly rare. More likely you might pull up an Angustidens or other treasure. 

It'll be fun regardless... just getting out away from the hustle and noise is a nice escape. 

Good luck !

Nice finds :) Hope the road trip goes well, with many neat finds!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Looks like that might be a worn shark vert. Nice finds, especially the white sharks!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks everyOne!  We visited with George Powell while in greenville. He id’d it as a large fish vert. If we find anything in Summerville area we will be happy. Down here for the beach but will have one day for fossiling.