Can anyone tell me what animal this belonged to?

Kelzbelz

My mother's best friend found this I believe somewhere around Fremont County in Wyoming and I've been trying to figure out exactly what it is. I have been told that it is either a Plesiosaurus, myosaurus, or possibly a Spinosaurus, tooth. if anybody has any info on this I appreciate it thank you. I've got more pics if needed

20180830_012129.jpg

20180830_011829.jpg

Edited by Kelzbelz
Add more to it

Yes, I think it maybe a rib, but not from a Sponosaurus or a Myosaurus which are not found in Wyoming, as far as I know. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It's a wonderful intriguing object, certainly worthy of inquiry. As ynot suggested, does it show any more of the fossil on the "back" or "end" of the rock? The skinny end seems to disappear into the matrix. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

I think it is a rib bone. Does it go all the way through the rock?

Ya- looks like a rib. I have found dinosaur bones in the matrix. Even filling them as a cast. Looks like the very outer bone layer adhering to the rock. Nice one. It seems to have some structure inside. But it may be a mineral artifact.

Definitely not Spinosaurus. Spinosaurids are not found in North America.

I agree that it looks like it might be some kind of rib of some animal.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hello from Natrona County.  The pix are a bit unclear, but if you ever get to Casper, bring it by the Tate Museum and we can give it a look.  It is often much much easier to ID things in person than with photos.  It certainly looks bone-ish.  

I will be in the field Sept 17-21 and occasionally other dates, but someone here should be able to look at your finds.  Tuesdays are worse because all of our geology professors are out, too.  

8 minutes ago, Kelzbelz said:

'd like to have identified or looked at not just fossils ..  can you do thst there ? 

Yes, just use the correct sub forum.

:popcorn:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.