Strange find from Lewes.. (Fossil or not)

FossilsAnonymous

Hey all. On my trip to Lewes, DE for my last breath of summer, I couldn't resist the pull of fossils and searched around in a sand and stone store. The seller had some nice shark teeth, arrowheads, and ammonites. We chatted about fossils for a while and then she asked me if I had any idea what this is. She said she found it on a beach near Lewes. Unfortunately she was unable to provide information on what formation it was found in. It may not even be a fossil at all. But it piqued my curiosity and I thought it would be cool to at least post it and see if it was anything. Maybe you native Delawarians could tell me a thing or two.

The fossil was quite light, lighter than an arrowhead for sure, but without the consistency of wood, and has small little circles at the bottom. That may just be an anomaly in the rock, but I thought every little detail would matter in this case.

Thanks folks,

IMG_1929.thumb.JPG.d0a85212e376022d5a5e3b0a2ac02b1b.JPGIMG_1925_1.jpg.0f756fdd08a113bdf83d2edaa6efccbb.jpg

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Unfortunately, the "fossil" in the pics is rather out of focus and in dark lighting.

It might be a hard ID.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Sorry! This is what was given. I didn't have anything nice nearby because I wasn't expecting to id any fossils! The seller may have to take it if it can't be identified.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Inspired by the artist himself Tim @Fossildude19, I've tried to improve the pictures:

IMG_1925_1.jpg.0f756fdd08a113bdf83d2edaa6efccbb.jpg.b6aea6c276fd92d5404f5466bbd0b384.jpg

IMG_1929.thumb.JPG.d0a85212e376022d5a5e3b0a2ac02b1b.JPG.b2f36c820ec342127c5ffde03434d9b7.JPG

Still not perfect (maybe Tim can do an even better edit), but seems slightly clearer to me. TBH the starting photos were pretty bad... :wacko:

Unfortunately, this looks like just a rock to me, I'm not seeing anything that seems of biologic origin to me. 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils