fossilnut

Hi all As I age, I am working on talks and the co-responding displays to donate my collections to be used while I can for talks to curious people who come to the natural history society where I volunteer. After i'm gone, having written out the talk and picture power point and with the actual fossils, these talks could go on. Also hopefully made available to teachers. Anyway, I am struggling with finding an intriguing story lines for a talk on Brachiopods and Bivalves. For example in my cephalopod talk, the story line is how they overcame the problem of buoyancy. So i am asking for your thoughts for something similar on this topic.

Also ask for your recommendations for specimens to include. I'm looking for ones that grab people's attention for beauty, ugliness etc. I have id'ed: spirifers (pyritized), lamp shells, Ruck's pit Mercenaria, Cucullaea (Giant clam), Panopea, Cretaceous oyster Exogyra, Inoceramus, Spondylus, Arca hinge teeth  and markings. There are some weirdly beautiful rudists from Texas (would anyone be willing to donate to the cause?) Hopefully this gives you some idea what I am trying to do-specimens that each have their own special story to catch people curiosity and interest to promote their interest in learning. And if possible, an overarching story line that unites brachiopods or unites bivalves.

Appreciate everyone's thought and comments. Thanks

Are you planning one talk comparing the two groups, or two talks (one for each)? In either case, how they survive predation attempts would be a good theme.

I have more brachiopods that I do bivalves, and I could send a few specimens your way. Specifically, I'm  thinking about Cyrtina sp. for an example of the differences between brachial and pedicle valves (see here: LINK), and a pathological Glyptorthis insculpta for predation survival (see here: LINK).

• I found this Informative 1

@MediospiriferI was planning one talk for both-comparing similarities and differences but will have to see how it develops. I am unfamiliar with Cyrtina. Devonian? That is an interesting topic area, pedical vs brachical valves. Thanks  Also the pathological Glyptorthis with predation survival would catch attention. I and the Natural History society would be grateful  for any donations. I can draw on a previous talk/write up I did on predation on bivalves and gastropods (modern beach finds)-don't believe i had ever noticed on brachiopods (a long time ago i hunted the Ordovician in Cincinnati, Ohio) So thanks for the story of predation and an example for brachs. Really appreciate your response and offer. :yay-smiley-1:THANKS