Any Brachiopod Experts Out There?

PaleoNoel

Hello everyone! As my family was making its way through northern UT this summer on my way to Dinosaur National Monument I realized that there would be some extra time in the afternoon between when we would arrive in Vernal and when we would check into the hotel, so I decided to do the only logical thing and find a place to go fossil hunting for a few hours in the surrounding area. One of the sites I found only talked about finding belemnites, ammonoids and oyster shells on BLM land off of the highway going into vernal. It was supposed to be middle Jurassic Curtis formation (according to the geologic road signs, an interesting feature of this area's highways). I followed the directions given on the website and we reached the area that we believed to be the one mentioned (The Rockhounder: Belmemnite Fossils Near Vernal Utah) we met a young couple and their toddler out hunting for fossils (always nice to see). What we found somewhat disappointed me (however any afternoon spent fossil hunting is automatically better than any not doing so), only brachiopods and not one cephalopod fossil to be found. The main point of posting this in ID is to figure out if these brachiopods are jurassic species or older, as no belemnites were found they couldn't be used as indicators to the true age.

5ba6778dac5c1_IMG_3057(1).thumb.JPG.96e176e6b6ec36fbaff9d73e7e9f7722.JPG

Oh wait, i was  too quick, they are better specimens! Look like rhynchonellids but unlikely to be able to get good biostratigraphic control from them.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice little brachiopods but i doubt we'll get closer than rhynchonellids. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice little brachiopods but i doubt we'll get closer than rhynchonellids. 

Thanks for responding! I guess I'll trust the road sign for the age. 

• 1 month later...

Update to this topic: after looking at rhynchonellid brachiopods from the jurassic I found several pictures online of shells similar to those that I found. Though most were from the jurassic coast of England, I can likely attribute that to far fewer people hunting in the area I did and posting about it.