Darktooth

Today I met up with some forum members for a group hunt in the Middle Devonian of Central New York. Members @Fossildude19 , his Son Aidan,@Jeffrey P, @Easwiecki, plus five of his friends, as well as @Bjohn170 and his girlfriend Amy. I think i can safely say we all had a very nice day.

There were plenty of fossils, good people, and the weather was ok.ok. I was the first one to arrive, bright and early at 7am and i had a couple hoursbefore the others started pouring in. It was Bjohn170's first time doing this type of digging but he and Amy did great finding trilobites. I think they found more then anybody else.

Today was a little bit of everything. Trilo's, gastro's, brach's, bivalves, cephalopod, etc... I myself found a few mostly complete Greenops sp. One was the most complete one I have ever found, and nice preservation. I am hoping that everyone who participated in todays hunt will, when they have time, respond and possibly post their finds.

I will post my trilos and a few other things but I will start by posting a pic of Bjohn170 (Bryce), with his first ever Trilobite. It was the only pic I took on-site.

By the way everyone,please wish Fossildude19 (Tim) Happy Birthday!

20240421_105733.jpg

20240421_105725.jpg

20240421_174810.jpg

20240421_174831.jpg

20240421_174850.jpg

20240421_174901.jpg

20240421_174909.jpg

20240421_174916.jpg

• Enjoyed 20

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

20240421_175015.jpg

20240421_175030.jpg

20240421_175052.jpg

• Enjoyed 12

It really was a great time meeting everyone and finding some awesome fossils. Thank you again! I’ll be sure to post when I’m back in Maryland!

It was a pleasure to spend your birthday with you @Fossildude19

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

Happy birthday Tim!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 minutes ago, Bjohn170 said:

It really was a great time meeting everyone and finding some awesome fossils. Thank you again! I’ll be sure to post when I’m back in Maryland!

It was a pleasure to spend your birthday with you @Fossildude19

Bryce it was great to meet you and Amy! I am very happy that the both of you have enjoyed your time in New York so far. Also feel free to post the Herkimer Diamonds that you found as well, as they are nice and I know members would enjoy seeing them. I hope your last few days here are as good as it has been so far. 

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

Thanks for posting, Dave. Sorry I couldn't make it there today. I'm glad you all had a good day. 

And Tim,     Happy-Birthday-Fish.gif.01eea8ccdfe222f1f7f4709fc13d4cf6.gif             Happy Birthday!  Happy that  Aidan could spend it with you.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

16 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Thanks for posting, Dave. Sorry I couldn't make it there today. I'm glad you all had a good day. 

And Tim,     Happy-Birthday-Fish.gif.01eea8ccdfe222f1f7f4709fc13d4cf6.gif             Happy Birthday!  Happy that  Aidan could spend it with you.

I hope that you will make out there again someday. There are fossils out there with your name written all over them.:)

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Happy birthday Tim ! :yay-smiley-1:

Coco

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Looks like a great trip. 

@Fossildude19 Tim, Many Happy Returns. Hope you had a great birthday. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Happy Birthday, Tim!  ...My kind of party!

:yay-smiley-1:

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice trilobites.  Looking forward to seeing more photos from this outing.

Happy Bday,Tim!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

So, here's my contribution. First off , I would love to extend a big thank you to Darktooth Dave and Tim (Fossildude19) for organizing this event. It was also good seeing Aidan (Tim's son) and Forum members Eric again and meeting Bryce (Bjohn170) and his partner, Amy up from Maryland. I rode up from southeastern New York (3.5 hours away) with Tim and Aidan, but didn't know this was Tim's birthday until I arrived, and Dave extended birthday greetings. Fortunately, my wife had a family event the day before and had gifted me leftover cake so, there was cake for the celebration. The main event however was the fossil hunting. DSR quarry, form those who don't know, is the easternmost exposure of the Middle Devonian Moscow Formation, Windom Shale. It is the very same formation exposed in western New York, notably at Penn Dixie and other sites, but the faunal composition is way different. What is especially remarkable about the DSR quarry is the abundance of marine fossils and the biodiversity. It seems like every year we find new things to add to the extensive faunal list. 

Greenops trilobites are especially abundant in relation to other sites, as evidenced by Dave's photos. Although I didn't find any Greenops worth collecting on this day, I did find a Dipleura dekayi cephalon (just under an inch and a half across) and an enormous pygidium ( a whopping 3 inches wide, 2 and a half inches tall). This was the largest Dipleura pygidium I've ever encountered and makes me wonder if there's a record size Dipleura lurking about the quarry still waiting to be found. 

IMG_9937.JPG

IMG_9939.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 8

Grammysioidea arcuata is one of the more common bivalves found at DSR. Most are casts, but I kept this one because it had both valves and some of the shell preserved. It is an inch and 7/8ths long. 

IMG_9930.JPG

IMG_9933.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

Talking about both valves, this Orthonata undulata, a razor clam, is open and has both. It is an one and three quarters inches long. I already have several, but this was the first one I've found in a while. 

IMG_9929.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 7

It was a frustrating day for goniatites. I found a number of partials and one complete one (with sutures no less) that broke apart  into many unrepairable fragments. I did find this other complete one, an inch and a half wide, with the shell quite distorted. 

IMG_9934.JPG

• Enjoyed 7

And lastly, a hyolith, Hallotheca aclis, a half inch tall. Not a bad day, as far as finds go (This was my third Devonian outing in the past two weeks- see my previous report.), but I really enjoyed the comradery of new and old TFF members getting together at this wonderful and diverse site. Thanks again to everyone and take care.  

IMG_9943.JPG

• Enjoyed 7

Great report everyone. And, Very Happy Birthday to you Tim! Can't think of a better way to celebrate.

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

Happy birthday Tim.

Great way to spend the day. 
Hanging out with really old fossils makes us feel less fossilised. 

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Good times, good fossils, and great friends. Doesn’t get much better than that! :thumbsu:

Happy Belated Birthday @Fossildude19! I hope it was a good one, even if you did have to spend it with @Darktooth. Hahaha! :default_rofl::TongueOut:

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Good times, good fossils, and great friends. Doesn’t get much better than that! :thumbsu:

Happy Belated Birthday @Fossildude19! I hope it was a good one, even if you did have to spend it with @Darktooth. Hahaha! :default_rofl::TongueOut:

Only the Cool Kids get to hang out with me.:cool07:

• Enjoyed 1

@Jeffrey P thanks for posting Jeff, you made some nice finds. I especially like the Orthonata undulata with both valves!:thumbsu:

Just now, Darktooth said:

Only the Cool Kids get to hang out with me.:cool07:

Haha. I have no doubt! Anyone who hangs out with the likes of Jeff and Tim is a Cool Kid in my book.:thumbsu: 

• Enjoyed 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

7 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Haha. I have no doubt! Anyone who hangs out with the likes of Jeff and Tim is a Cool Kid in my book.:thumbsu: 

If you ever make it out this way, let me know.

• Enjoyed 1