Richard’s Spur Oklahoma

Bobby Rico

Thanks, Bobby, for encouraging me to pull these pics out again.  It was fun to reminisce.  Dr. Robert Reisz from U of Toronto came down to DFW a year or 2 after to view material collected by everyone willing to meet with him, then published on it.  Not every day in the field presents a situation where you can collect all you need for yourself AND science.  In the years since, some of us have tried to assemble small, responsibly acting ad-hoc groups with one museum curator or another taking lead, but no luck thus far.

Permian Skull4 MM 100105.jpg

Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105 (2).jpg

Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105.jpg

Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105 (3).jpg

Permian Skull3 MM 100105.jpg

Permian Skull2 MM 100105.jpg

Permian Skull1 MM 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Limb Bone in Matrix3 101505.jpg

Permian Reptile Limb Bone in Matrix 101505.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaws7 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw6 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw5 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw4 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts6 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts5 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts4 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaws3 100105.jpg

Permian Pyritized Limb Bone 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Claw 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts3 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Big Bones 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts2 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Limb Bones2 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Limb Bones1 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw2 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw1 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts1 100105.jpg

Permian New Skull9 100105.jpg

Permian New Skull8 100105.jpg

Permian New Skull7 100105.jpg

Permian New Skull6 100105.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

8 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

That must have been a memorable day!  However if your group averaged a skull apiece, and Boneman got 20, wouldn't that mean 19 people were skunked?

Don

It was a big group, maybe 40 people.  Some laughed at Brent for loading up his truck with bulk material when there was so much stuff on the surface.  Some people found no skulls.  But everyone found tons of post cranial elements, some perfectly eroded out of the clay, some encrusted with calcite, others with pyrite, some with both.  Anyone willing to crawl and look found tons of little bones, and I recall both of my skulls coming off the weathering piles in one of the pics above, one of those skulls being down deep between some rocks, staring back at me.  There were very few finds exceeding 2 inches, with some complete bones down in the 1/8" range.  Good times!

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

8 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Thanks, Bobby, for encouraging me to pull these pics out again.  It was fun to reminisce.  Dr. Robert Reisz from U of Toronto came down to DFW a year or 2 after to view material collected by everyone willing to meet with him, then published on it.  Not every day in the field presents a situation where you can collect all you need for yourself AND science.  In the years since, some of us have tried to assemble small, responsibly acting ad-hoc groups with one museum curator or another taking lead, but no luck thus far.

Wow! Truly spectacular preservation and variety. Sad how a few reckless people ruin it for all the other responsible collectors, but thankfully you got it while the getting was good, and now we can all enjoy it.

I remember you mentioning at some point a Permian reptile skull you found with roach bits still stuck on the teeth. Is that skull one of these?    

@Uncle Siphuncle

Dan, 

Thanks for posting these breathtaking finds. 

Amazing collection, and truly great memories, I'm sure. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

10 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Wow! Truly spectacular preservation and variety. Sad how a few reckless people ruin it for all the other responsible collectors, but thankfully you got it while the getting was good, and now we can all enjoy it.

I remember you mentioning at some point a Permian reptile skull you found with roach bits still stuck on the teeth. Is that skull one of these?    

Good memory...I had forgotten about that!  Dr. Reisz wrote a paper on it that I have somewhere.  It was this guy.  Not sure I took a shot of the palate before donating the skull.  Could be a new species BTW, but not sure...last time I heard, they were trying to determine if this was new vs. a complete example described previously from a skull fragment.  These things take time.

image.thumb.png.be87631025b37b0e69dfc30ee600d56e.png

• I found this Informative 8

Grüße,

38 minutes ago, jpc said:

wow, Dan... Dolese Quarry.  I am jealous.  

Git us in, JP, git us in!  I'll donate any new species to your museum!

Grüße,

33 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Git us in, JP, git us in!  I'll donate any new species to your museum!

If I get a chance to meet Robert Reisz, I'll ask him about it.  He's got that place locked up.  

Don't hold your breath, Dan.  

@Uncle Siphuncle

Thanks so much  Dan for adding to my thread.

The Richards Spur Matrix and creating this post was completely therapeutic pastime for me (finding the little fossil in the tiny rubble  and of course the photography) . I found your post very moving and I feel it is really is important to remember lost friends fondly  . The Big Man sounds like he was amazing person and an incredible fossil hunter. I really enjoyed seeing your photos of them fantastic creature finds but most of I was reminded of how important our TFF family is.  Mrs R stepped  into my shoes  a few weeks ago for me when I had problems in focusing on writing and posting. She was amazed at how kind and caring the TFF members are. I had a lot of well wishers  . She enjoyed meeting you all too. When I get back to work and earning money again . I am going to pick up some more Richards spur goodies.

Thank again and all the best Bobby 

• I found this Informative 4

Hi,

continue to honor your friends Dan, it's good for them, good for you and good for us !

"The dead people continue to live in the spirit of the living ones", "Mission" by Roland Joffé, 1986.

Coco

• I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

16 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Permian Skull4 MM 100105.jpg  Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105 (2).jpg  Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105.jpg  Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105 (3).jpg

Ah! You're the one we have to thank for Nannaroter! Gorgeous fossil, and thanks so much for sharing it with all of us!

9 minutes ago, jdp said:

Ah! You're the one we have to thank for Nannaroter! Gorgeous fossil, and thanks so much for sharing it with all of us!

Actually, that one is probably Mark McKinzie's...but I was in the room when it happened!

Grüße,

I thought I would do one quick last look at the remaining matrix and glad I did. I poured the matrix onto a tray and found a couple of tiny teeth about 2mm.

Thanks you all for looking and adding to my thread. Cheers Bobby

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I found a couple more teeth with jawbone today. One of the teeth is so tiny I tried to photograph it with a stainless steel rule next to it but there was to much glare of the metal. Just for a size reference I photographed it on the tablecloth you can see the size of the weave of fabric. Lovely little fossil. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ED149759-D727-44C8-8F39-46DBE01168E9.jpeg

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Hi All

I though I would do a little post. Sorry if the information is a little lacking but I have been ill and had an emergency operation . I am fine now but still on the meds and I thus get a little confused. 

I purchased to occupy myself some Micro Matrix from the Lower Permian Richard's Spur locality of Oklahoma. Fossils range from fragments to complete and include toe bones, jaws, skull plates, teeth, intercentra, limb bone ends etc. The majority of specimens are Captorhinus magnus and C. aguti but undoubtedly there are other species. I am sorry but I am unable to identify them but I really enjoyed doing the photos so I thought I would share my finds with you guys. Cheers Bobby 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That clear centered bone is amazing! Ive never heard of anything like that before!

Im really sorry to hear about your emergency, I very VERY much hope that everything was able to be taken care of, and without much difficulty. With any luck you'll be back to normal again, and hopefully very soon! 

None of those are Diplocaulus or Diploceraspis. In fact, Diplocaulus and Diploceraspis are not found at Ft. Sill at all, as they are from a different environment entirely. Diplocaulids are found almost entirely in muddy seasonal pond or swamp environments in Permian lowlands, whereas the Dolese Quarry at Ft. Sill preserves more inland terrestrial animals that fell into a set of caves.

Most of that material is definitively captorhinid, and probably Captorhinus agouti. A few of the longer pointier teeth might belong to something like Delorhynchus or Mycterosaurus (particularly the first two chunks of jaw). Beyond that, there's not much I can ID with any confidence.

• I found this Informative 5

2 minutes ago, jdp said:

Most of that material is definitively captorhinid, and probably Captorhinus agouti. A few of the longer pointier teeth might belong to something like Delorhynchus or Mycterosaurus (particularly the first two chunks of jaw). Beyond that, there's not much I can ID with any confidence.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your great  help.  

If you get any other thoughts please feel to comment. I have no ideas myself I just wanted something to do like sorting though Micro Matrix to keep myself  busy.  :dinothumb:

On 10/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Permian Skull4 MM 100105.jpg

Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105 (2).jpg

Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105.jpg

Permian Acroleter woehri DAW 100105 (3).jpg

Permian Skull3 MM 100105.jpg

Permian Skull2 MM 100105.jpg

Permian Skull1 MM 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Limb Bone in Matrix3 101505.jpg

Permian Reptile Limb Bone in Matrix 101505.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaws7 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw6 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw5 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw4 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts6 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts5 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts4 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaws3 100105.jpg

Permian Pyritized Limb Bone 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts3 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Big Bones 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts2 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Limb Bones2 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Limb Bones1 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw2 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Jaw1 100105.jpg

Permian Reptile Verts1 100105.jpg

Permian New Skull9 100105.jpg

Permian New Skull8 100105.jpg

Permian New Skull7 100105.jpg

Permian New Skull6 100105.jpg

I'm blown away! Where did you find all of these? How long of a period of time? Do you know what the skulls are all from?

Is this by any chance a dimetrodon claw? I don't think Ive ever seen one that isn't broken off on the back edge, so I don't know if they have that extra part. Is that standard for Permian claws?

4 minutes ago, Still_human said:

I'm blown away! Where did you find all of these? How long of a period of time?

Dan added a really brilliant story about collecting these incredible Permian fossil. Just step back a little. :dinothumb:

8 minutes ago, Still_human said:

Is this by any chance a dimetrodon claw? I don't think Ive ever seen one that isn't broken off on the back edge, so I don't know if they have that extra part. Is that standard for Permian claws?

That's consistent with how Maddin & Reisz figure it:

claws.JPG

• I found this Informative 5