Ernst Quarries Question

Kurt Komoda

On 10/21/2018 at 1:55 PM, caldigger said:

The one I pictured in the Riker is from the "Hills" area which has much more mineralization going on.

I have gotten several from the Ernst site that were much lighter in color.

These guys are also very brittle, so don't blame yourself for the missing tip, that could easily have happened already in the deposit before you got to it.

I think I'm still finding grit in my facial cavities after two showers. That stuff gets everywhere!

Yeah I kept finding it for days after showers. Pretty sure it got into my lungs to. Really small powder-like particles (silt).

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

On 10/21/2018 at 2:18 PM, KimTexan said:

@MrR Nice finds and teeth. I can’t tell how big they are though, but they look nice.

I was at Brownie’s beach in Maryland two weeks ago and found several of the single bars of sting ray dental pavement. I visited the Calvert Marine museum on Solomon Island in Maryland and this pic below was on display. It helped me have a better idea of how the bars would have been arranged. Evidently the lines on the bars are to keep the plates lined up together. The flat surface is what they chew with. It doesn’t look very effective for chewing to me, but I’m not a sting ray.1FC27340-7373-4DC5-BBB6-67D804AE7D48.jpeg.ff83206410ca87fecdad8b3970f0459f.jpeg

These are some of what I found on my visit to Brownie’s (now Bayfront Park) just sitting on the beach. I believe these are Miocene, but there is Pleistocene stuff there too. I posted 2 trip reports with lots of pics one was to the museum.

E445912E-F3D8-4CC3-867D-83EA0F8165EE.thumb.jpeg.95ae8ec1c4706bbc180ac9029359a97f.jpeg

Hope the info is helpful.

I really miss Calvert Cliffs. Was fortunate enough to find a complete plate once upon a time about a year ago. This brings back those warm memories.

@Fossil-Hound beauties! :wub: 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Outstanding finds! This has been on my bucket list for some time. I am going to have to find a way to make it happen.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

My haul from three days worth of hard digging. There's over 200 teeth there. I was thinking about contacting @mattbsharks to see if we could work out a deal for root restoration. I'll probably end up putting these all into one big display case. Thanks @caldigger @MrR and @Kurt Komoda the dig was a lot of fun. I'll have to clean these up and post later. Also found some decent sized cetacean vertebrae that I'll post later along with the cleaned teeth in a shadow box.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Outstanding finds! This has been on my bucket list for some time. I am going to have to find a way to make it happen.

Do it! I am definitely returning at some point- buuut maybe I won't do the 40 hr drive thing again. I like having my car/home away from home, but it'd also be nice to just be back home in Jersey in a few hours. It's pretty hard work- I guess I'm not accustomed to shoveling and picking all day in the 89 degree sun, but at least, next time I will know what to expect.

I also want to make myself one of these screen tables. Made the dig a lot easier, I think. Allows you to just place shovel fulls of stuff on top and then shimmy the whole table. The pvc pipes can be unplugged so it can be folded flat. Might be nice to add a door hinge so you can easily dump the debris without having to lift the table each time, but that's certainly not necessary. Maybe screw a blunt metal edge or knob on top of one side of the frame for cracking larger chunks. It needed a better webbing system for holding itself together (near the top and near the base. Pipes kept unplugging when sifting, which was annoying.

3M8A7458.thumb.jpg.b7f36394582472cf4d573c511e63908c.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I saw a guy online who installed metal wheels from the sides of a roll-up garage door on the bottom of the sifter rails. He then built a stand that would hold the sifter frame in the middle, with the wheels riding on wide rails that were part of the table. It looked pretty slick. Like Kurt, I figured out that there were better ways of doing things. That said, without caldigger's hand-sifter, I wouldn't have seen a fair number of small teeth before they hit the debris pile. One must have a sifter of some sort to get the odds in a good place for success.

Coincidentally, I just got back from the Home Despot (sic). I grabbed some of that 1/4 grating/hardware-cloth and some wood for framing. I'll make something to use on the next trip. My friend wants to go soon, so it might sometime in November, weather and luck permitting. Cheers.

• I found this Informative 2