From Crab to keichousaurus fossil

DLB

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

Now that your gettin somewhere its starting to get exciting.  These are starting to look purty good. 

RB

RJB thanks that means alot comeing from you.

@DLB Those are looking nice. Now that you have a lot of bone exposed, you can coat the exposed with Paraloid,PVA, or Butvar to further protect it from the acid wash. The acid will discolor the plastic but that’s ok. You can remove it with acetone when acid prep is finished. Well done thus far.

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, what Kris said.  You see, I can sound smart by simply agreeing even though I had no idea about it.  and a hardy har har.  :)

RB

Forgive me for asking what might seem to be a very obvious question but with these fossils everyone seems to use acid prep why not manual with scribe and abrasive?

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Yeah, what Kris said.  You see, I can sound smart by simply agreeing even though I had no idea about it.  and a hardy har har.  :)

RB

Don’t believe him. He’s way smarter than he likes to act like here. :D

56 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Forgive me for asking what might seem to be a very obvious question but with these fossils everyone seems to use acid prep why not manual with scribe and abrasive?

The matrix is typically very hard and the bones are very small. The matrix composition is rather reactive with acid. The combination of all those factors makes acid prep the easiest and safest option for preserving fine details. 

Granted, most people don’t use the extreme method @DLB is employing. :P It is effective but if done wrong, bye bye specimen. 

• I found this Informative 2

38 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Don’t believe him. He’s way smarter than he likes to act like here. :D

The matrix is typically very hard and the bones are very small. The matrix composition is rather reactive with acid. The combination of all those factors makes acid prep the easiest and safest option for preserving fine details. 

Granted, most people don’t use the extreme method @DLB is employing. :P It is effective but if done wrong, bye bye specimen. 

Ya what he said haha 

ya the detail is starting to come out alot more i just hope they all are as complete  as the one thats allmost done. I have a question do you know if they had live birth or have eggs?

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Lookin good sir

1 hour ago, DLB said:

ya the detail is starting to come out alot more i just hope they all are as complete  as the one thats allmost done. I have a question do you know if they had live birth or have eggs?

From good ole Wikipedia:

Although there is no direct evidence, Keichosaurus was potentially ovoviviparous (eggs form and hatch within uterus). Fossil Keichousaurus display a simplified elbow joint and a lack of ossification in the olecranon process of the ulna. This would make crawling up the beach to lay eggs awkward. Specimens at different developmental stages, found in the same type of sediment at the same locality, also support an ovoviviparous reproduction model. However, fossils have been found of female Keichousaurus with fetuses within the lower portion of the thoracic cavity. Their position implies that they are not victims of cannibalism.

I ask because on the most complete one in the lower portion of the body there's a round egg-shaped spot and it's always been a little bit more porous than all the rest of the bone

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey Dusten, can I ask how much time you have into these?

RB

well its hard to tell since I spend a out 10 to 15mins a day working on them and the rest of the time the acid does all the work. But its been probably a month now. it would go alot quicker if it was nice outside here more its been raining alot.

5 hours ago, DLB said:

... its been raining alot.

How odd. Seattle has a reputation for being sunny most of the time.

At least that’s what I heard growing up in Oak Harbor. :P

This is looking great . I never seen a keichousaurus in different stages of preparation. Cool post :dinothumb:

I know right! at least thats what we tell everyone to get them to move here lol.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

How odd. Seattle has a reputation for being sunny most of the time.

At least that’s what I heard growing up in Oak Harbor. :P

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

This is looking great . I never seen a keichousaurus in different stages of preparation. Cool post :dinothumb:

Thanks i thought it would be fun to share this since ive never seen the process either.