Consolidation for matrix fish / dino bones

Masp

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Yes, I would remove as much of the offending material as possible with a pick. As for consolidation, there are two schools of thought.

1. Every fossil bone requires stabilization in order to prevent possible deterioration in the future, even if it is not currently evident. This school would say to consolidate the entirety of the specimens in order to fully stabilize them.
  2. Only fossil bone that is currently unstable or deteriorating requires stabilization. This school would say, only stabilize if the bone is brittle or crumbling. If it is not, leave it alone.

The saurapod bone needs consolidation based on both schools of thought based on your description of it being brittle and having already broken. I would apply consolidant to the entire piece. The theropod vert is another story. Is it stable? I tend towards school #2 in my preparation. If the bone is strong, it stays as pure as possible. If there's a chance of something coming off, it gets consolidated. For example, I have worked on tons (literally) of material in the Perot lab that is VERY stable and does not require any consolidation, but almost every fish I have ever prepped needs it due to their particular bone structure, preservation, and propensity to flake..

It’s stable more or less, but not sure if I completely trust it because it’s a little flakey. Could just be because it was pulled out of the ground, and sold as is.  Could also be because it’s just dirty needs to be cleaned with something but I’ll look into it. 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, RJB said:

It wasn't me.  Ive never even heard of that.  Interesting idea though, but yeah, I would think that egg whites would not hold up?

RB

I agree it would not be a good idea, but just so you don't think I'm crazy, I did find where I read it. :P  @Ptychodus04, @jpc @RJB

image.png.94384450059d391dd14a6e7ff4d25d7c.png

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

On 10/11/2018 at 9:25 AM, Masp said:

#2 best way to go about cleaning this tyrannosaur bone? For consolidation, do you recommend pva, acetone etc. 

EE64C8C1-9707-40D2-AAA6-40315D0C6171.jpeg  994BA25C-C0CB-4657-BA10-CAC370B162E5.jpeg  8BE65D31-95F8-48E0-B4D2-2F2B58C5AFE0.jpeg  F94DB1B3-E1D8-442C-B967-78580E4BDE2B.jpeg

FADA217E-1F41-43A5-9B23-46EF5C38CD76.jpeg

What is that orange/rusty encrustation? If it is lichen, you can bleach it and soften it up with a household bleach solution with water. Brush off with a nylon or bristle brush. Make sure that the bone is solid enough to soak.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

What is that orange/rusty encrustation? If it is lichen, you can bleach it and soften it up with a household bleach solution with water. Brush off with a nylon or bristle brush. Make sure that the bone is solid enough to soak.

I’m gonna be honest with you, I have no idea what it is. 

3 hours ago, Walt said:

I agree it would not be a good idea, but just so you don't think I'm crazy, I did find where I read it. :P  @Ptychodus04, @jpc @RJB

image.png.94384450059d391dd14a6e7ff4d25d7c.png

We still think you’re crazy. :D

• I found this Informative 2