Never Ending Crinoids, To My Dismay

KimboSlice

While I find interest in every fossil my daughter and I find, I’m feeling a bit frustrated at finding only Crinoids. Yes, I think they’re cool, and I don’t want to be ungrateful, but I’m getting a bit discouraged.. I’d like to find something other than a Crinoid. Now, admittedly, I only know certain places to look, so that’s why I’m reaching out for help. We’ve primarily looked in creek beds, and along the trails we walk. I’m in Boone County, MO. Can anyone give us any tips on other places to look where we might find something other than a Crinoid? We’re new to fossil hunting, so honestly any tips you have will be well received and we’d be so grateful for them. Thank you in advance. :fingerscrossed: (photos for attention.) 

7BC1A3AA-8D2A-4201-AEA3-4DEDA4BF44DF.jpeg

F8D2F79B-9C17-441D-9203-C612B38D99A9.jpeg

A0C0D2A7-D6D2-46EA-A0D4-304828DE1086.jpeg

I suggest looking at geological bedrock maps for your area and then look at a county road map. By doing this you'll see where fossil bearing rock is and could find a road or creek that cuts through it. Many people are reluctant to divulge site information as the best sites are the ones you keep to your self. Also, if there are crinoids then there ahould be other types of fossils there as well and the possibility of finding a complete one is also nice.

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

2 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

I suggest looking at geological bedrock maps for your area and then look at a county road map. By doing this you'll see where fossil bearing rock is and could find a road or creek that cuts through it. Many people are reluctant to divulge site information as the best sites are the ones you keep to your self. Also, if there are crinoids then there ahould be other types of fossils there as well and the possibility of finding a complete one is also nice.

I can completely understand not wanting to give up your site! That’s why I intentionally did not ask for specific sites, because I didn’t want to appear rude or inconsiderate. Thanks for the tips! My only concern is figuring out public and private lands, and not wanting to trespass, especially with a two year old. I don’t want to get shot or something. 

Well, you can start your research with these sites. 

Boone County.JPG

Information from this website.

Keep in mind - this information is very old, (turn of the century old) and no longer accurate in most cases. 

Still it gives you a starting point.  :) 

Being honest and upfront with people when asking for permission to fossil hunt is the best way to handle asking. 

If there is a house nearby the property, stop and ask if they know who owns it. 

Also, you can look at the town's  or county's property tax rolls, or tax accessor cards, then look the person up and call them. 

Having a 2 year old with you can be an asset, when asking in person. ;) 

Hope this helps. 

ALSO - BE SAFE.

Railroad cuts and roadway exposures can be very dangerous. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

42 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well, you can start your research with these sites. 

Boone County.JPG

Information from this website.

Keep in mind - this information is very old, (turn of the century old) and no longer accurate in most cases. 

Still it gives you a starting point.  :) 

Being honest and upfront with people when asking for permission to fossil hunt is the best way to handle asking. 

If there is a house nearby the property, stop and ask if they know who owns it. 

Also, you can look at the town's  or county's property tax rolls, or tax accessor cards, then look the person up and call them. 

Having a 2 year old with you can be an asset, when asking in person. ;) 

Hope this helps. 

ALSO - BE SAFE.

Railroad cuts and roadway exposures can be very dangerous. 

Excellent information and advice! Thank you so very much!! Somehow, it had never crossed my mind to simply speak with the landowner about requesting to fossil hunt on their land. I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer, and for the starting point/s you’ve helped us with! 

Someone pointed out that the word 'hunt' sends up a red flag in many landowners' minds, so it's safer to ask them for permission to collect fossils on their land! (also "dig fossils" probably won't work)  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

42 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Someone pointed out that the word 'hunt' sends up a red flag in many landowners' minds, so it's safer to ask them for permission to collect fossils on their land! (also "dig fossils" probably won't work)  ;)

Oooh, good thinking! You hadn’t thought of that. I’ll take your advice and use the term ‘collect fossils’ instead! Thanks for the advice! 

Here are 2 possible locations. Not sure how close they are to you.

These locations are from a paleo database. I cannot vouch for them. Many times they may be in a city or on private land where paleontologist did research at one time. So what I do is look on satellite map for the closest exposure, embankment, escarpment, creek, river or lake. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. Usually you don’t find all of what is listed in the database unless it’s a quarry or cliff face or something like that.

38.952N, 92.334W supposedly 6 species of trilobites have been found there.

38.703N, 93.231W this one lists 3 types of gastropods.

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

Here are 2 possible locations. Not sure how close they are to you.

These locations are from a paleo database. I cannot vouch for them. Many times they may be in a city or on private land where paleontologist did research at one time. So what I do is look on satellite map for the closest exposure, embankment, escarpment, creek, river or lake. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. Usually you don’t find all of what is listed in the database unless it’s a quarry or cliff face or something like that.

38.952N, 92.334W supposedly 6 species of trilobites have been found there.

38.703N, 93.231W this one lists 3 types of gastropods.

Omg! You are amazing!! Thank you so, so very much! One is 4 miles from me, and the other about 45 miles from me. Both completely doable! I can’t thank you enough! 

14 hours ago, KimboSlice said:

7BC1A3AA-8D2A-4201-AEA3-4DEDA4BF44DF.jpeg

F8D2F79B-9C17-441D-9203-C612B38D99A9.jpeg

A0C0D2A7-D6D2-46EA-A0D4-304828DE1086.jpeg

There appear to be tabulate coral imprints at the top of these photos, so that's a start to expanding your crinoid collection.:)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/