Large Oligocene Fossil

Gtrex0823

This fossil was found by my uncle on the beaches of Onslow county in North Carolina. The fossil is roughly 18-19 inches long and 3-4 inches in width at its base. Any help is appreciated, ty.5bc3d40957445_AllFossils.PNG.9fdce82b7a5b55b595baf649756e5e28.PNGj

Fossil5.jpg

fossil1.jpg

Fossil2.jpg

Fossil3.jpg

Fossil6.jpg

IDK, but it is cool/

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The only thing this reminded me of was a very odd beach find from Block Island, RI, sent to me in 2004. Our ichthyology curator IDed is merely as "a type of tail bone of a very large fish." See attached photo. But it could also be a knot from a petrified tree. Can you provide extreme close-ups of the texture?

jkhdfkqlj.JPG

@Boesse might have an idea.

Initially I thought wood, but the second image from the top on the right hand side seems to show symmetrical sutures, as if this was some sort of a rostrum or similar elongated skeletal structure.

Don

When the piece is dry, could you try burning it?

The result of that might help us determine what kind of thing we're dealing with... 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Carl said:

The only thing this reminded me of was a very odd beach find from Block Island, RI, sent to me in 2004. Our ichthyology curator IDed is merely as "a type of tail bone of a very large fish." See attached photo. But it could also be a knot from a petrified tree. Can you provide extreme close-ups of the texture?

My first impression was hyperostosic bone also.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!