allen.wallace

I collected several of these small round balls in limestone (shale?) from the Eocene Green River Formation. The location is Tucker, Spanish Fork Canyon, Utah. 

The diameter is about 13mm, about the width of my small fingernail. When these are broken open, I see that the sphere is packed with 0.2mm white "crystals".  I say "crystals" because they look like calcite to me and some have small (0.05mm) hollow spaces. The crystal density is least in the center of the sphere. FYI, the limestone does show small amounts of black organic fragments. In the field, these look very much like a fossil, but under the microscope, the cross-section looks like it is geological in origin. Any ideas?

Edited by allen.wallace
typo

I think, the "small round balls" might be sandstone concretions with ooids, but it's just a guess.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I am with abyssunder

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The presence, or absence of other trace, or body, fossils in the area would seem a relevant clue in this situation.

From what ive just read, ooids form with wave action.  How can they form into a ball?  Very interesting though. 

RB

Wow... Very interesting. I doubt that's a mass of coprolites. It reads more like non-fossil. An interesting detail is that the white bits are more concentrated at the sphere's edge. And I certainly can't claim to know ooids very well but this doesn't look like any of the examples of that I've seen.

The Green River Formation has oolitic limestone and algal pebble beds. Below are two images which may have characters similar to the specimen in question.

5bcf87de227a2_Plate47.thumb.jpg.eb093dda641d82fddd567e5389f1faaa.jpg

5bcf87d73eefb_Plate48.thumb.jpg.04b2cbd16829f50fb167453eb04cb8d4.jpg

" According to the writer's interpretation of the origin of calcareous oolites and of fresh-water algae reefs oolites may be intimately associated with algae reefs because the conditions favorable to the formation of oolites are in general also favorable to the growth of algal limestone deposits, though the converse is by no means true; or they may be intimately associated because the oolite grains were transported to the growing reef in the same way that clastic grains are carried to and inclosed in algae reefs. "

excerpts from W. H. Bradley. 1928. Algal reefs and Oolites of the Green River Formation. U.S.G.S. Professional paper 154: 203-223

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome, any time! Thank you for posting here! :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

hmm ... the white “bits” do not seem to have smoothed contours or an internal concentric structure; some seem to be packaged and interlocked as if they grew togethere;

the fact that the small white pieces are more concentrated at the edge of the sphere (is it the same for all the other little balls you find?), makes me think that the pattern originated in a diagenetic environment.

ciao