What is this dinosaur tooth?

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone,

There is this small 0.62 inch theropod tooth that I would love if someone could identify. I was thinking it was nanotyrannus or some sort of raptor tooth, but I can’t be too sure. Please help! Please respond if you even know the tiniest bit. Thanks everyone!

- FossilsandScience

Theropod Tooth.png

Will need a bit more to make an id.

Pictures of the other side, a edge on picture and one of the base (of the tooth).

The number of denticles per millimeter, front and back edges.

Information on the location it was found would also be needed.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It was found in the Hell Creek Formation, Montana (specifically the Powder River County). I only have one picture of the backside here. I don’t know how many denticles per millimeter though, I may be able to answer that later.

Backside of Theropod Tooth.png

I was thinking that the tooth could be one of the smaller teeth located on the nanotyrannus skull. Does anyone agree? If not, please respond with your opinion! Thanks!

Nanotyrannus skull.jpg

The pictures above are the only available pics I have right now. Just try your best scientific answers with the pics above. Sorry.

hi, I saw this tooth too, the description says it is very thick in cross section - so likely no Dromaeosaur, leaves Nanotyrannus or juvenile T-Rex maybe. Making a more educated guess based on these two pictures is not really possible, I think.
You should ask the seller for additional pics to be on the safer side.

• I found this Informative 1

42 minutes ago, FossilsandScience said:

The pictures above are the only available pics I have right now. Just try your best scientific answers with the pics above. Sorry.

Can’t say anything beyond Tyrannosaur. Need a cross-section photo to see if the tooth it compressed or robust to differentiate between Nanotyrannus and T-Rex. Try asking for a photo, most times dealers will happily send more. And if they won’t, find a tooth you’re 100% on the ID.

Ok, will do thanks! I will post the photo soon if I get it. Check tomorrow afternoon, or something like that, if you can.

2 minutes ago, FossilsandScience said:

Ok, will do thanks! I will post the photo soon if I get it. Check tomorrow afternoon, or something like that, if you can.

Sure thing, tag me when you post another photo from the dealer and I’ll take a look.

I'm leaning towards rex on this tooth after seeing a photo of the cross section and don't see any compression. :trex:

• I found this Informative 2

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Yup agree with the others on this one, looks like a Trex. Looks a bit more bulky and less compressed than a Nanotyrannus. But I would like to see what @Troodon can say about this one.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).