Baryonyx or something else

Joe Jordan

Hi all I'm new to the group my name's Joe hope someone can help ID a tooth.. I Found this tooth at Hastings it has serrations right upto the tip both sides.. 

Any info would be great 

received_1578020009599557.jpeg

received_787042743322620.jpeg

received_3737040403193100.jpeg

received_1639109536625524.jpeg

received_1408662326686481.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

More Pictures (all sides, cross section) would be helpfull.

But I think theres a good chance for it beeing a Baryonyx tooth.

Spinosauridae teeth usually have serrations on the carina, and also stripes. But Pliosaur and Croc teeth can look similar too.

And because I am not familiar with the age and location of the formation, I can't state the ID.

I hope for you, it is Baryonyx ! Great find !

Are good signatures really that important ?

Posted (edited)

Hi thanks it's early Cretaceous 140myo the tooth is also oval 

Edited by Joe Jordan

Okay, sounds like it is Baryonix. Baryonix is from the early cretaceous, but whithout the rigth pictures, its hard to tell. It would be nice, If you post the requested pictures. Whats the sice of it ?

I don't think there is any papers of baryonyx in Sussex.. it definitely looks like barry

IMG_20240321_143850805_HDR_AE (1).jpg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Joe Jordan said:

I don't think there is any papers of baryonyx in Sussex.. it definitely looks like barry

I've researched a bit and found out a Baryonyx is known from the Turnbridge Weels Sand Form. east Sussex. So why shouldnt it be one. But because many Spinosauridae are known from England that are so fragmentary preserved that its not clear If they are multiple species or not.

I wouldn't label it as Baryonyx, rather, ... Spinosaurid indet.

Great tooth by the way, not a daily find !

• I Agree 1

I didn't think spinosaurs had serrations on there teeth . We have loads at the museum and they don't have any .? 

On 3/21/2024 at 12:25 PM, Brevicolis said:

I've researched a bit and found out a Baryonyx is known from the Turnbridge Weels Sand Form. east Sussex. So why shouldnt it be one. But because many Spinosauridae are known from England that are so fragmentary preserved that its not clear If they are multiple species or not.

I wouldn't label it as Baryonyx, rather, ... Spinosaurid indet.

Great tooth by the way, not a daily find !

Completely agree. Dinosaur teeth can only rarely be confidently assigned to species or even genera.

• 3 weeks later...

I’d be a bit more cautious calling this a Spinosaurid based on serrations alone. Symmetrical labial/lingual surfaces, large, evenly spaced ridges and lack of distal curvature are more typical of crocodylians. Serrations are difficult to use as a diagnostic trait - many non-ziphodont crocs (and mosasaurs) can have similar, very fine denticles. For example, a Pliocene Crocodylus:

IMG_9876.thumb.jpeg.66a9a56fe05a8bcfbb68acff6fa89bfe.jpeg

The Tooth Fairy

On 3/25/2024 at 1:40 PM, Joe Jordan said:

I didn't think spinosaurs had serrations on there teeth . We have loads at the museum and they don't have any .? 

Spinosaurids had very tiny serrations on their teeth. But on most examples, they're so worn down or erodet, that they're not recognizable anymore.

But in rare accasions, even they preserve.