Possible fossil?

saracakes3889

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so I want to apologize up front if my posts aren't as descriptive because I am very new to this. My father is currently working on a "construction" job, in north Texas that requires him to dig 9ft underground. He has found various things and he wants to know if they are fossils. Here is something he found yesterday:

Thanks in advance!

17689.jpeg

17709.jpeg

Do you have closeup pictures. It looks like there might be a gastropod on the second image.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Not really seeing anything that screams fossil of any kind.

What are the other "things" he has found?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• Fossildude19 locked and unlocked this topic

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I see a piece of limestone.  Not a fossil, I'm afraid. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

very sharp focus photo of this area may or may not reveal something. I too, would like to see what else he's found. 

Inked17709.jpeg.9fc4d4b40a207d1a56b177b495f55b37_LI.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I see a piece of limestone.  Not a fossil, I'm afraid. 

It's ok, he found it in the loose soil, after digging 9ft underground. He picks up the ones he finds to be interesting. Also his coworkers do the same. 

The top photo looks like iron or manganese rich concretions. The last two photos are of a nautiloid.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Top photo is an ammonite.

Where were these found? We may be able to figure out the formation and the species. Look at these geology maps and let us know what formation is nearby: https://txpub.usgs.gov/dss/texasgeology/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

5 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Top photo is an ammonite.

Where were these found? We may be able to figure out the formation and the species. Look at these geology maps and let us know what formation is nearby: https://txpub.usgs.gov/dss/texasgeology/

He is by Glen Rose, TX. I wil send him the link to see if he can identify the formations nearby.

Glen Rose is a fossil hotbed!...... gotta love job sites! Husband brought home a whole truckload of petrified wood once huge pieces kept a couple small ones and gave the other larger ones to a friend...we were traveling and couldn't keep them way to heavy to move..lol

Nice finds. Tell him good luck with his findings.  People like me that live in lover Louisiana would be tickled pink 

to have access to those types of places. I'm afraid down here the only thing I find are alligators and water moccasins!

The ones form pictures 1-9 and 11,12 of OP, might be rudists.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

43 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

might be rudists

I was thinking rudist well.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Thank you everyone for your responses! He found this one today and it's coming home as a gift for my 3 yr old son. Any tips on how I can preserve it for him? I'm planning on giving it to him when he is older and is able to appreciate it. 

18294.jpeg

23 hours ago, saracakes3889 said:

Yes, he just sent me a few.

18233.jpeg

18235.jpeg

18234.jpeg

18237.jpeg

18236.jpeg

18239.jpeg

18238.jpeg

It looks a lot like a type of rudest to me. I’m not sure what genus though. 

This is a rudest from the Edwards Formation in Johnson county of the genus Sauvagesia

3F37F6A5-57E5-4F2B-B5E0-659E552AC2C5.thumb.jpeg.28bfa270ed1fda51ac0151901ae7fccd.jpeg

You can spiritual warfare another One below on the left. Not all genus are curved like the one I have.

I can look it up tomorrow to see if I can find a match. Do you know the formation?

173F85D7-6893-483B-9DD0-F7431CB3DFDF.thumb.jpeg.b15e82019cca4c67725350e91837ff4e.jpeg

There is also a bivalve called Pinna that looks a bit like that.

11 hours ago, saracakes3889 said:

He's also found these items as well, this past week. Also at 9ft underground. 

17483.jpeg

17925.jpeg

17926.jpeg

Very cool nautilus. Love the internal calcite!

Do you know the formation this is from?

Regarding the ammonite, I generally try to remove the majority of the excess matrix with a chisel. However you can end up splitting the fossil that way if it is fused with the matrix. If you have a rock saw you could cut off the extra with that. It takes up less space that way. 

It almost looks like it could pop right out of the rock though. I use a Dremel with diamond tip bits to remove excess matrix.