Help Identifying a bone

shellyro11

Looks modern, but sure is big. Larger than any bovine parts that I've found. Some people suggest the burn test, but I have never tried. Burn with lighter or match for a moment. If you smell a burnt hair odor, than the specimen is modern and hasn't mineralized. If no smell, than it is a mineralized fossil. Weight is also telling - if feels heavy for the size, is likely mineralized. Modern bones often feel light, even when large. 

Very likely that anyone helping you identify will ask for more images at different angels. 

• I found this Informative 2

That is a big one.

May we have additional images from other angles?

I have to email multiple pics to myself to reduce the size to 3.9 mb or less so I can upload more.

There are only 2 things that would be that big that I know of and they would be whale and mammoth. I’m thinking femur head of mammoth, but I’m no pro.

@Harry Pristis

You guys are the sweetest for replying so quickly.  It is pretty heavy.  I will try to do the burn test now. It's almost 10 lbs. 

Edited by shellyro11

1 hour ago, shellyro11 said:

IMG_2275 (1).jpg

May we see this rotated to the left a bit with a straight on view of the edge? Then one looking straight down on it?

This is what I believe you have: which is the head of a mammoth femur.

9C2886C1-095C-4F1B-8727-ECE21627B95C.jpeg.36219a11d0c2237576faae50f4b1cdd4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Congrats on your very cool mastodon bone.

Welcome to the forum from Kansas! :)

I think with such a nice find you may get the fossil fever and be back again soon.:dinothumb:

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

6 minutes ago, shellyro11 said:

don't want it

Is it too big for keeping in your house? Maybe you could put it outside in a very sheltered area.

I don't know anything about selling fossils. 

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

My assessment is that there is little interest in bone fragments unless it is from a museum site.  I'd go back to your site to look for more pieces of this humerus.  The more complete, the more interest.  Should that be impossible, consider donating the fragment to a high/middle school science/biology teacher as a classroom demonstration item.

• I found this Informative 7

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

23 hours ago, KimTexan said:

May we see this rotated to the left a bit with a straight on view of the edge? Then one looking straight down on it?

This is what I believe you have: which is the head of a mammoth femur.

9C2886C1-095C-4F1B-8727-ECE21627B95C.jpeg.36219a11d0c2237576faae50f4b1cdd4.jpeg

Hey Kim, yes you were close, good eye. I was thinking Mastodon while Harry was writing it.