Paleozic aged fossils ID

Monarch

Hello, can you please identify what type of fossil wood or bog perhaps? found near Lyon County. The last picture shows the size of specimens dry. Thank you.

Paleozoic

Coniferous

swampland

Nevada

20180925_024631.jpg

20181124_132913.jpg

20181124_132956.jpg

20181126_145552.jpg

I am not an expert on fossil wood by any means, but I personally do not see wood in the pix.

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Those are some nicely colored chert nodules. The lack of grain texture and these conchoidial fractures give it away.

1543284033683.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Being from Nevada, I would suspect these to be agates.

They could have formed in a void left by wood, but without grain/cellular preservation of knowing the location can not say if they are "petrified wood" or just an agate.

May look nice cut and polished.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

For reference this is my own silcified petrified wood from the Chinle Formation in Southern Utah.IMG_3381.thumb.JPG.a50003e37ea67bb6c95a3163af27c372.JPG

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Being from Nevada, I would suspect these to be agates.

They could have formed in a void left by wood, but without grain/cellular preservation of knowing the location can not say if they are "petrified wood" or just an agate.

May look nice cut and polished.

Im with Tony on this. Some nice agate. Would make some nice cabs.

...I'm back.

Petrified wood and agate can look similar though.

IMG_5242.JPG

8 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Petrified wood and agate can look similar though.

To be more precise,

Petrified wood can be agatized but not all agate is petrified wood.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

To be more precise,

Petrified wood can be agatized but not all agate is petrified wood.

Exactly. Thank you for clarifying.

I see some unusual tubular structures that could be plant material. They probably cannot be conclusively identified as fossils though.

85F0E92E-1639-43A4-B0AD-E8EB4FA538DD.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.