Simple Mid-Devonian ID?

Kane

Took advantage of a break from the early wintry weather to go play in my fossil pit out back (London, Ontario), and came upon this.

I'm sure this will be a cinch to identify, but i'm drawing a blank. It has ribbing reminiscent of an ammonite, but this was found in the Dundee Fm, Mid-Devonian, so too old for that. Ammonoids from around these parts don't tend to have ribbing like this, nor the appearance of nodes.

I was thinking some kind of coiling gastropod. Too large and flat to be a Paleozygopleurid. If it is a gastro, I know how tough they can be to identify from a steinkern, but I thought I'd give it a go. As I'm one of the few on here who have access to Dundee Fm deposits, perhaps it is reminiscent to a similar Devonian formation where one of you collects. Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Sadly, try as I might, I couldn't locate any other pieces from this rock, so this is all I have to go on. 

IMG_5303.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I wouldnt exclude cephalopod ;) check out Hercoceras and other Rutoceratidae.

• I found this Informative 4

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

15 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

I wouldnt exclude cephalopod ;) check out Hercoceras

Had a look, but only the nodes (and not the ribbing) seem there on Hercoceras... but, your suggestion led me surrepetitiously to this interesting paper:fistbump:

I think cephalopod is back on the table!

Image from:

Dzik, J., Korn W., and D. Korn (1992) Devonian ancestors of Nautilus. Palaont. Z. 66(1/2); 81-98

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 10.46.11 AM.png

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

Had a look, but only the nodes (and not the ribbing) seem there on Hercoceras... but, your suggestion led me surrpetitiously to this interesting paper:fistbump:

Image from:

Dzik, J., Korn W., and D. Korn (1992) Devonian ancestors of Nautilus. Palaont. Z. 66(1/2); 81-98

Aaah Korn :D perfect for paleozoic cephalopods 

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

I'm thinking cephalopod also. Prochorites- a Devonian goniatite, has both nodes and pronounced ribbing. 

• I found this Informative 2