This lovely oddity needs an ID

DeepTimeIsotopes

IMG_5496.thumb.JPG.803972570a2be015eb74b1f1068e0e9b.JPG

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Found in the Mancos Shale in the San Rafael Swell, Utah. Late Cretaceous in age. Found in conjunction with several ammonites.

IMG_5497.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

IMG_5498.JPG

Possibly the keel imprint from a local ammonite.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

My first thought was "trilobite pygidium", to be honest - then I saw you wrote 'Late Cretaceous' ;) 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

34 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

My first thought was "trilobite pygidium", to be honest - then I saw you wrote 'Late Cretaceous' ;) 

-Christian

It is most definitely Late Cretaceous. There's no paleozoic rocks for 100 miles near the location I got this.:ighappy:

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Possibly the keel imprint from a local ammonite.

My friend has an identical one. I don't have pictures of his unfortunately. 

Just kidding, his is different.

Edited by UtahFossilHunter

Clam? Plant?

Most ornamentation/ribs on Cretaceous ammonites that I have seen are roughly at a right angle to the keel. The ribs in photos are at a very acute angle to the suggested keel. Can anyone provide pictures of ammonites with ribs at a similar angle?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

41 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Clam? Plant?

Most ornamentation/ribs on Cretaceous ammonites that I have seen are roughly at a right angle to the keel. The ribs in photos are at a very acute angle to the suggested keel. Can anyone provide pictures of ammonites with ribs at a similar angle?

I think it may be this one...?

IMG_5505.PNG

• I found this Informative 4

At first glance it looks like a leaf imprint (external mold). Really cool find!

I found this picture that looks similar. What about a Pygidia of Pseudophillipsia sp.; (a) internal mould 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Pygidia-of-three-Middle-Permian-species-of-Pseudophillipsia-compared-to-the-Malaysian_fig4_225780237

image.png.76154a02d09c8e6336198b9d7db6a4b7.png

18 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

At first glance it looks like a leaf imprint (external mold). Really cool find!

I found this picture that looks similar. What about a Pygidia of Pseudophillipsia sp.; (a) internal mould 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Pygidia-of-three-Middle-Permian-species-of-Pseudophillipsia-compared-to-the-Malaysian_fig4_225780237

That looks very similar to what I’ve got but the Mancos Shale is late Cretaceous in age. If it were a trilobite pygidium, I’d be a lot more excited because that would be Nature-paper worthy!:ighappy:

Edited by UtahFossilHunter
Removed pic