KimTexan

A friend of mine recently brought some property southwest of Brownwood, Texas. The land is largely Pennsylvanian. The formation is Garner, which he says the description says it is marine with megafauna.

He sent me these pics (below) this morning.

He found this last week. He said it was just laying on the ground and didn’t see the source of it nearby.

At first I thought it looked like some weird type of wood I had never seen before, but now I’m wondering if it could be geological.

8915C8EA-07D6-43C6-8642-1466D957C4FD.thumb.jpeg.de95410938475fdd7f2c7f87f6170be3.jpeg

71ED4F71-C6AC-40DE-BA0D-1FEF1D990C11.thumb.jpeg.e814b3289d6747dda0d17285a6a5f545.jpeg

I have requested an end view, side and back side pics of it. He won’t be able to get them till this evening though.

I think it’s pretty cool looking whatever it is.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments on it.

It looks like decorticated Lepidodendron - I've found similar in upper Carboniferous sandstones full of plant fragments preserved as voids left by vanished carbonaceous material.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

31 minutes ago, TqB said:

It looks like decorticated Lepidodendron - I've found similar in upper Carboniferous sandstones full of plant fragments preserved as voids left by vanished carbonaceous material.

Thank you.

Thats a cool piece..hopefully the source can be found and there is more. yes it does look like a piece of decorticated lycopod to me as well. Regards, Chris 

39 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Thats a cool piece..hopefully the source can be found and there is more. yes it does look like a piece of decorticated lycopod to me as well. Regards, Chris 

That is exciting. It’s a very cool looking piece. I think his ranch is 300 acres with the Colorado River running through part of it. He has already found some nice ice age bison bones in the river. 

He has invited me to come down and hunt it with him. He thinks I can offer paleontological insight. I’m thinking I’m just a novice. Most of his place is Pennsylvanian I think. I know next to nothing about Pennsylvanian. I’ve hunted 2 terrestrial locations in Oklahoma. 2 or 3 marine in Arkansas and 3 marine in Texas. Most of them only once each.

I’m excited to go hunt the place though. We just have to work out a date. There aren’t too many places to hunt that aren’t picked over. Nobody has touched these places that I know of. The previous owner wasn’t a fossil hunter and owned it for over 25 yrs.

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

He has invited me to come down and hunt it with him. He thinks I can offer paleontological insight. I’m thinking I’m just a novice.

Sounds like a great opportunity for both of You!

You have more to offer than You seem to think (IMO). You will do just fine!

Good luck.:dinothumb:

I look forward to the trip report.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.