Recker

I fish alot on the Whitewater River here in Franklin County Indiana and look for fossils and rocks.  I posted this photo under the rocks and minerals section and a member said that it could contain a mash up of small fossils.  I just thought it looked like a rock that had odd patterns like little hieroglyphics, could they be tiny fossils?

Linda

48272804_606679183083551_1290259328778895360_n.jpg

Could you take some close ups of the patterens on different sides of the rock. There are a couple items that look like cross sections of something.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

If this helps this the area where I found it, lots of gravel bars and flooding.  After the high water I find all kinds of things, when the water drops I can wade out onto the gravel bars in the middle of the river.

48053510_1220652954748382_5837683157465300992_n.jpg

A river can carry rock for a long distance and can also pick up rock from older riverbeds or glacial deposits.

So there is little chance of knowing the age of the fossils. There are a lot of cross section views of different types of shell, but I see no coral or byozoan.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I wonder if some of the hollow semi-round cross sections with bumps on the outside might be a scaphopod such as Dentalium. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dentalium_(genus)

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yeah,I thought so too,perhaps tuberitinids,but the'd have to be pretty big ones.

I thought i saw a dasyclad (alga) section as well

I see snap rings, locking washers, spacers, and gaskets. This thing belongs behind the counter in an auto parts store. :)

18 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I see snap rings, locking washers, spacers, and gaskets. This thing belongs behind the counter in an auto parts store. :)

Yeah....... let's see you fix your engine with it. ;)

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I saw a spoon!!  Where's Waldo??  LOL

This object looks nautiloid-like.

5c0e95ee85ba3_coolrock.jpg.fb722cdfbc0cff02c50bcec932c00e0b.jpg

This a a very cool looking rock! It looks like some sort of fossiliferous "marble". My gut feeling says it's not originally from anywhere near where you found it.

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

14 hours ago, Recker said:

Yes!  At first I thought it was a Dendritic Agate of some sort. 

It looks like polished (river tumbled) agate but not Dendritic to me because I don't see tree- or fern-like markings known as dendrites. I'm sure it has fossils but I can't identify any but it is a very cool rock worth hanging on to! :D

2 hours ago, Paciphacops said:

This object looks nautiloid-like.

5c0e95ee85ba3_coolrock.jpg.fb722cdfbc0cff02c50bcec932c00e0b.jpg

This a a very cool looking rock! It looks like some sort of fossiliferous "marble". My gut feeling says it's not originally from anywhere near where you found it.

I see it now!  So small yet so defined.  I very much appreciate all of your help.  Wish it could talk and tell it's story...hummm wonder where it originated?

14 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Stunning rock!

Thank you John, it was a lucky find that's for sure and the more I look at the more I see LOL