Scylla

My Son has volunteered  (been volunteered) to put together the Science Olympiad fossil test at his university. This will be a test for about 27 teams of high school students in fossil identification and knowledge. Unfortunately, the fossils they provided him were sub-par and came from a science kit bought online.  The fossil list this year is attached. If anyone in the Houston area is willing to provide any of these fossils, please PM me.  He would accept mailed fossils as well, of course.  Unfortunately He cannot guarantee return of the specimens so please do not send very valuable or  delicate examples.

Fossil_List_2019.pdf

THAT is quite a list, much less for high schoolers!!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Suggestions: 

What fossils provided are adequate to use? 

Is the school able to provide some funds to at least pay for shipping? Some of the fossils are common and might be donated if postage is paid for. 

You might consider printing quality color photos for some of the fossils.

Talk to a local paleontology society (better yet, join them) to see if you can borrow some. Huston Rock and Gem Society: https://hgms.org/

Here is probably what is in the kit. Click on “view more”. Please confirm what kit is used: @Scylla

https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=470309-698

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Nope, I did not give away

On 12/20/2018 at 12:27 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

Suggestions: 

What fossils provided are adequate to use? 

Is the school able to provide some funds to at least pay for shipping? Some of the fossils are common and might be donated if postage is paid for. 

You might consider printing quality color photos for some of the fossils.

Talk to a local paleontology society (better yet, join them) to see if you can borrow some. Huston Rock and Gem Society: https://hgms.org/

Here is probably what is in the kit. Click on “view more”. Please confirm what kit is used: @Scylla

https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=470309-698

If only that kit was the one they purchased, lol. The student that made the online purchase knew nothing about fossils and had good intentions. I will be donating some of the fossils on the list, photos and little plastic dinosaurs will probably be on the test as well. The difficulty in posting the status of the list publicly is that we give away the answers to some degree. That is why I was hoping PM offers could be made and then I can accept or decline based on the need for the test. 

On 12/20/2018 at 3:03 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Haven’t you just posted the answer to the quiz  here then ?:)

No, the organization posts that list. :)

• I found this Informative 1

On 20.12.2018 at 3:34 AM, Scylla said:

If anyone in the Houston area

Getting an (or some) Houston H. s. neanderthalsensis would be quite challenging. Good luck!

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, Scylla said:

anyone in the Houston area is willing to provide any of these fossils, please PM me

Does this infer you only want local fossils from the Houston area. I have many specimens from the upper Midwest that are on your list.

Mike

1 hour ago, Monica said:

@Scylla

How many of each type of fossil would your son need?

One would do it. The fossils usually are at stations with questions about them and the teams rotate around the room. They usually have about 2 min per station.

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

Getting an (or some) Houston H. s. neanderthalsensis would be quite challenging. Good luck!

Well, if you have some extra H. neanderthalsensis from anywhere else, I'll pay for shipping. :ighappy:

10 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Does this infer you only want local fossils from the Houston area. I have many specimens from the upper Midwest that are on your list.

Mike

Not local at all, just thought shipping costs would be less if they could be dropped off. I'll be sending a bunch of NY state fossils back with my son when he returns to school from break.

When would he need these? I am leaving for Ohio and won't be back until Jan1. So couldn't get anything until then. but love to help on these types of projects.

Mike

11 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

When would he need these? I am leaving for Ohio and won't be back until Jan1. So couldn't get anything until then. but love to help on these types of projects.

Mike

Thanks! The event is Jan 12, but samples should probably be there by Jan 10 to be safe. A picture or detailed description of fossils being sent would help in planning and composing the questions. The final test questions are due Jan 1. 

I am afraid I may have time constraints. But I assume this is a yearly project. I could provide examples for next year if you would like.

Mike

1 minute ago, minnbuckeye said:

I am afraid I may have time constraints. But I assume this is a yearly project. I could provide examples for next year if you would like.

Mike

Thanks again, it is a yearly event. Usually they do fossils for 3 years in a row then rocks and minerals for three. 

Message me a n address and I will put together a dozen or more examples from the list. At least they can be used in future projects!!!

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

11 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Message me a n address and I will put together a dozen or more examples from the list. At least they can be used in future projects!!!

Mike

PM sent and thank you so much!

@Scylla

I have a spare Favosites, Heliophyllum, Mucrospirifer, and Spinyplatyceras all from Hungry Hollow in Arkona, if your son is interested...

(By the way - I'm not sure if the gastropod would be okay since the genus isn't exactly on the list)

I can’t get one to you for your requested date, but I could give you a Glycymeris bivalve for the future, if you’re interested. Please let me know. :)

7 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I can’t get one to you for your requested date, but I could give you a Glycymeris bivalve for the future, if you’re interested. Please let me know. :)

Thanks, PM sent.

I don’t live in Texas, so unfortunately I can’t help. I wish you the best of luck, though! I hope that you get all of the fossils you need! :D 

6 hours ago, Zapsalis said:

I don’t live in Texas, so unfortunately I can’t help. I wish you the best of luck, though! I hope that you get all of the fossils you need! :D 

Thanks!