Pyritized Clam shells

Douglas B Hill

Question for the group:  is it common for a clam shell to pyritize in contact with a clay?   This was from Edisto Beach SC.  They were buried in mud to where they are not pyrite.  I am assuming the clay is heavy in iron sulfide.  

Douglas. 

80840B7A-A836-4740-8BF7-17C65CB9DDD2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

The pyrite was protected by the clay from oxygen and water and erosion. Oxygen and water will “rust” the pyrite turning it into iron hydroxides that are easily eroded away.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

These are lovely, thanks for sharing! I think, @Max-fossils will also like them. And they seem to be all bi-valve.

Is the pyrite only a surface coating? Is the white stuff still shell material? And is the gloss natural or have you polished them?

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

Pyrite formation is controlled by several factors.

The necessary sulfur ions might be present in porewater,and/or in the sediment itself.The amount of sulfur varies with depth.

edit: depth below the sediment/water interface ,that is.Ecology plays a role as well.

Would be nice to know if these bivalves are(obligatory) infaunal,and if so,what would be the average living depth in the sediment 

Interesting find,Douglas,thx for showing us 

zrteill5t6hb.jpg

edited by user,24-12-2018,spelling correction

• I found this Informative 4

Wow, gorgeous shells!!! :wub: 

I love how only half of them are pyritized. 

Hard to guess without seeing the hinge, but I believe these shells would be Mercenaria sp. 

Awesome finds!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils