I won the Eurypterid gamble!

fossilized6s

I finally bought myself a Eurypterid. I've been looking for years and i didn't want to spend more than $200. I knew i could find a deal eventually, i just needed a little patience, education, a good eye and a bit of luck. I took a gamble on this piece for only $99. From the provided pictures i saw from the "auction site" i saw i could clean up the tail and head for sure and a left arm was possibly there. Sold. 

A week later i decided to prep it a bit today on Christmas while my son was with his Mother. I uncovered the full tail, then complete left arm......then complete right arm!.........then walking appendages!!!! Holy complete Eurypterid for only $99!!! Lol

Now here's why this is posted in the  'questions & answers' subforum. Should i dig into the left side of the head to possibly uncover the other walking appendages??? Being as complete as this is i am assuming they're there. But I'm not sure if digging into this would be worth it....

What do you guys think?

Bought as is

20181225_161742_1545786284994.thumb.jpg.232dfb40b99a9d44029d3a6704718f8a.jpg

After prep

20181225_184859_1545786412373.thumb.jpg.830524d73391f5c1fe509671348446d3.jpg

Walking appendages

20181225_184720_1545786498713.thumb.jpg.42b5c2faf4416bffe01c861ab361f3d0.jpg

To fossil hunt it takes a good eye, education and lots of luck. The same goes for buying fossils as well. 

• I found this Informative 11

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Wow, amazing fossil you got there!! :drool:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

15 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Should i dig into the left side of the head to possibly uncover the other feeding appendages??? 

Of course you should.

It's a lovely piece.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Nice work Charlie!

what is the size?

I would definitely do some exploratory prep along the edge. There will very likely be additional appendages.

Great specimen.

Awesome work, Charlie!

Go for it! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It’s a beauty! Good buy. :dinothumb:I’d like to see it finished.:D That’s a steal for $99.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

40 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice score! But you coated it with something? Was that not avoidable?

It's a simple consolidation that i can reverse. I needed to do it while prepping.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Thanks guys. I guess I'll dig in and see what pops up. I really hope i don't ruin anything. 

~Charlie~

6 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

It's a simple consolidation that i can reverse. I needed to do it while prepping.

Ah, good man.

Once you are done, you can just pop that in my Christmas stocking (oops, too late). ;)

Great score of an underappreciated eurpyterid and terrific prep work. Remember to post a photo of it when it is finished.

Cheers.

-Ken

Unfortunately no other appendages........

....oh well. I'm still jazzed. 

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

On 12/26/2018 at 4:46 PM, fossilized6s said:

Unfortunately no other appendages........

....oh well. I'm still jazzed. 

Let’s see the final piece!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Yep, no garantees when it comes to preppin fossils.   and sorry you didnt find the other stuff, but for $99 Id say you did very very well!  

RB

• 2 weeks later...