One last Hurrah for 2018, one last Hurrah for Cow Shark Teeth!

FossilsAnonymous

I figured since 2018 was ending, I may as well honor it with a final, sopping wet, epic hunt. We (MomAnonymous and I) arrived at Brownies at around 1:10 and wasted no time trying to go south. Unfortunately, it was swollen with water even though it was low tide and we got cut off at the point. We met two men sifting, i don't know if they were on the forum at all but we chatted for a bit and they had only been finding small teeth.  We searched around a bit southwards, and found some nice sand tigers (carcharias cuspidata i think) and a couple of silky and dusky sharks (carcharhinus sp.) before heading back towards the entrance. Then we went more towards the northern side where there is a small bridge. This is where the hunting intensified. We were finding like four or five teeth per handful and it was amazing. The teeth were small, we weren't able to go to the spots with the big teeth but some of the teeth were really nice. Carcharhinus was showing up a lot and so were the sand tigers. A lot of the small teeth were red because of the iron oxidization.

Then I noticed a tooth in the surf. i reached down to grab it and found my first cow of December! This one was very nice, only a bit along the back of the root was broken. It seems to me like it has seven blades, but i am no expert with the cows and didn't know what counted as a blade. Hopefully you experts out there can help! At around 2, the beach started filling up but we stayed for around another hour before leaving. We found quite an interesting tooth that i need ID on, it has a really thick root.

Thanks 2018, Thanks for you friends on the Forum, and thank the Shark tooth Gods!

Cheers, FA (Meg next year, right)

• I found this Informative 3

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Scenery was magnificent

IMG_3612.jpg.7058cf81ac0323173d989dc8572cfece.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg.b2496ee69c89a4abbf0891e3720f92eb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

All the trip's finds... 114 altogether.

IMG_3620.jpg.751796308cacda83a9b438567088cec2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Carcharias Cuspidata

IMG_3622.thumb.jpg.55241b803ef980a9bb9612ccadddd2d8.jpg

Cow: Notorynchus, right? Unfortunate breakage.

IMG_3626.jpg.d6ef1f9cea64769b59bcfba79751ab68.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

We were there the day before! Sorry to have missed you, but it looks like a fantastic trip!

Going around the point is always a bit scary for me because you never know just how deep the water is. I was there a bit before low tide, and it was close to my knees. I can imagine it was really high when you were there, with all the rain coming down! Still, what a beautiful view!

The cow shark is amazing! I hardly ever see those, and have maybe two of them in my collection. That's a fantastic find!

10 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!

I think the unidentified tooth is a Physogaleus sp. (tiger like shark).

Apparently the Calvert Facebook site calls it a symspheal, or at least close to it in the jaw.

Just now, jcbshark said:

Nice cow shark tooth, congrats :fistbump:

I didn't even see it, i just saw the flash of black and snatched it. The waves were moving really fast because of the horrible weather yesterday.

You'd better give MomAnonymous a huge Thank You for taking you out there in the nasty weather and trudging through the wet and muck to indulge your passion!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Just now, caldigger said:

You'd better give MomAnonymous a huge Thank You for taking you out there in the nasty weather and trudging through the wet and muck to indulge your passion!

Oh, I already did! She enjoys the hunt almost as much as I do!

Great finds! Some great scenery shots as well! It’s quite the contrast from my desert-scape shots.:D Fossil locations are so diverse!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

4 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Great finds! Some great scenery shots as well! It’s quite the contrast from my desert-scape shots.:D Fossil locations are so diverse!

Very true. Desert scape shots I always like though, your photography is great.

Looks like you turned a poor weather day into a good hunting day! Great finds, especially with the tide being so high. 

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.