Fossils of Gotham

Carl

Rockaway Beach, actually within New York City, finally yielded its first vertebrate fossils to me today: a small, beat up, weathered chunk of whale bone, and this wonderful, large bony fish vertebra. It only took 11 years of collecting...

Happy New Year all and may 2019 be full of treasures from the deep past!

20190101_113633.jpg

IMG-20190101-WA0006.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Congratulations! The New Year is already starting off great!

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice find congratulations. :yay-smiley-1:

I have have had  a few nice walks on Rockaway beach when I been in NY my friend lives at Breezy point. 

• I found this Informative 1

Not sure of formations, but along the jersey shore commercial fisherman pick up fossils in their nets occasionally.  I’ve seen pictures of and read about whale,porpoise, shark, and manatee fossils. 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, Plax said:

wonder what Fm? Is this a beach that is renourished regularly?

I've learned it is the Pleistocene Gardiners Clay somewhere offshore. If by "renourished" you mean dredged by people I am not aware of much of that going on. I think most of what is there gets there from storm action.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:00 AM, fossilnoggin said:

Not sure of formations, but along the jersey shore commercial fisherman pick up fossils in their nets occasionally.  I’ve seen pictures of and read about whale,porpoise, shark, and manatee fossils. 

Most of the material you are talking about is float that may not have anything to do with the Gardiners Clay. Terrestrial material like mastodons and musk ox have been found by shellfishers for a long time and are likely the animals that lived on what is now inundated shelf but was dry land in the Ice Ages.