How to preserve flaky outer coating on fossil shell

Misha

I have a shell that I had found a while back and only now have I noticed that it has an outer layer that looks very similar to mother of pearl, this made the shell quite unique among many others that I had found, but sadly this layer is highly fragile and flakes off from any minor disturbances. 

I was wondering if there is any way to preserve this unique feature of the shell with some kind of coating before it is too late, any information is welcome.

Thank you.

Maybe try reading @Harry Pristis‘s “about me” page where he has described how to preserve certain fossils. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/profile/42-harry-pristis/&tab=field_core_pfield_11

• I found this Informative 2

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Thank @ynot.

@Misha I would suggest coating it with Paraloid or Butvar. Dissolve 1 part plastic in 50 parts acetone and carefully brush it onto the shell. This will harden the fragile layer.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thank @ynot.

@Misha I would suggest coating it with Paraloid or Butvar. Dissolve 1 part plastic in 50 parts acetone 

By volume or weight?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I sometimes use floor wax.  Its realy not wax any more but a synthetic.  it can not only hold things together quite nicely but can also make it shine.  I apply it with an art brush.  Good luck

RB

• I found this Informative 1

53 minutes ago, RJB said:

I sometimes use floor wax.  Its realy not wax any more but a synthetic.  it can not only hold things together quite nicely but can also make it shine.  I apply it with an art brush.  Good luck

RB

Unfortunately, using unknown substances can have unexpected side effects down the road, often to the detriment of the specimen.

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thank @ynot.

@Misha I would suggest coating it with Paraloid or Butvar. Dissolve 1 part plastic in 50 parts acetone and carefully brush it onto the shell. This will harden the fragile layer.

Do you know of any stores that might have these plastics as I found them on certain web cites but it would be easier and faster to obtain them through an actual store.

Thank you,

Misha.

Coon Creek Fossil area in Tennessee uses Future liquid floor wax. I preserved some shells with it that have been fine for 15 years. Their slogan at Coon Creek was “preserving the past with Future “

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Misha said:

Do you know of any stores that might have these plastics as I found them on certain web cites but it would be easier and faster to obtain them through an actual store.

Thank you,

Misha.

Online is your best route. These aren’t common household items.

34 minutes ago, Xiphactinus said:

Coon Creek Fossil area in Tennessee uses Future liquid floor wax. I preserved some shells with it that have been fine for 15 years. Their slogan at Coon Creek was “preserving the past with Future “

IMHO, 15 years isn’t long enough to determine long term stability of a chemical. Things like lacquer and shellac don’t break down within that time but have been shown to be very problematic. Museums use Paraloid and Butvar for conservation of fossil specimens and it’s easy to procure with the advent of online shopping. :D

20 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Unfortunately, using unknown substances can have unexpected side effects down the road, often to the detriment of the specimen.

I think this is true with just about anything given enough time.  I learned this trick from BHI.  They have doing this for many many years.

RB

45 minutes ago, RJB said:

I think this is true with just about anything given enough time.  I learned this trick from BHI.  They have doing this for many many years.

RB

I agree, everything breaks down given enough time. I’m just saying that using known substances is always better than unknown chemicals. :D 

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I agree, everything breaks down given enough time. I’m just saying that using known substances is always better than unknown chemicals

I really dont know what chemicals are in all the differnt kinds of glues but they seem like they are all just different kinds of plastics?   Difference being what is used to mix them with, water or acitone usually.  For me, I dont use anything with acitone on certain fossils, mostly the colorful ones cause it tends to take some color away.  I learned about floor wax when I met a guy who was a preparator for BLI and he taught me a lot about a lot of things fossils.   What I do works for me is all I can say.    Also, I have not forgotten about our fishing trip. 

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I really dont know what chemicals are in all the differnt kinds of glues but they seem like they are all just different kinds of plastics?   Difference being what is used to mix them with, water or acitone usually.  For me, I dont use anything with acitone on certain fossils, mostly the colorful ones cause it tends to take some color away.  I learned about floor wax when I met a guy who was a preparator for BLI and he taught me a lot about a lot of things fossils.   What I do works for me is all I can say.    Also, I have not forgotten about our fishing trip. 

RB

Fair enough. We can argue glues over a campfire in a few months.:P

I know you haven’t forgotten. I don’t think you’re the type to pass up a trip if it can be helped.