Psittacosaurus

Crazyhen

Looks very similar in orientation as the one that was seized at the Tucson show in 2016:

psittacosaurus-skeleton-fossil.png

But perhaps the one you are showing here is just an artwork. The one possible  tip-off (apart from the bone colour) is the number of ribs showing in that piece?

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks like it posed for it's eventual fossilization. I would not be able to hold still anywhere NEAR that long. lol

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Rotated

144C1.thumb.jpeg   144C12L.thumb.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks off.  I think we would need some close up photos of each bone to be able to say if parts are real, composited, or completely fabricated.

No change, real bones that are composited into this typical pose.   Some resto/fill of skull and other elements most likely. 

Yes, composited with real bones and resin-bone-powder-mixture.

• I found this Informative 3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I think the bone is real but the skeleton is obviously a composite. The skull, as is common on psittacosaurus, is a mishmash of bones glued together and carved in the shape of a real skull. In this specimen, the toe bones are also carved from larger pieces of bone. 

• 2 weeks later...

The famous Paleontologist Sereno also had great difficulty in dealing with deformed Psittacosaurus skulls, which concluded that deformation occurred after fossilization.

image.thumb.png.2addb9732ce6934bf8aad096227bf8c5.png

The morphology of this skull is quite consistent and difficult to be imitated. I'm clearly seeing the texture of fragile bones typically distorted, and usually the replicas seek to imitate a more perfect skull as possible. But of course a thorough examination in your hands, and with the help of a magnifying glass is also necessary.

In my opinion it's real enough! :dinothumb:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

On 1/13/2019 at 1:59 AM, Crazyhen said:

Is this skull genuine?  And why most psittacosaurus skulls are deformed?

Most legitimate skulls are deformed. As matrix pressure builds up, the bones give and the skull is deformed. I've never worked on a skull that wasn't deformed to some degree. The larger ones may allow for removal of individual bones for proper placement when displayed. Even animals with massive solid skulls like crocodyliforms experience deformation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another skull, looks real? I can't find the teeth, not sure if they are lost or embedded within the matrix.

IMG_9007.JPG

IMG_9009.JPG

IMG_9008.JPG

IMG_9012.JPG

IMG_9010.JPG