HoppeHunting

PLEASE READ: From now on, I will post the Top ("Hop") 5 finds from each trip, which I've done before, but NOW I invite you to vote for your favorite in the comments! Whichever find gets the most votes will be crowned the Hoppe Tripmaker!

The Hop 5:

1. Isurus desori: A very nice little mako, 1 ¼ inch slant height. Incredible how a fossil’s colors can change so drastically when it dries.

2. Carcharias cuspidata: This sand tiger has white enamel! Both cusplets intact and a bit of a curve at the tip.

3. Odontocete tooth: Either a dolphin or porpoise tooth. In very good condition, with a small hole at the bottom of its hollow root.

4. Sphyrna laevissima: This hammerhead may be small, but it’s a beauty. It’s razor sharp. Pics don’t do it justice.

5. Cetacean Epiphysis: A “cookie”! These apparently fuse with the vertebrae as the animal ages, so to find one isolated like this means it died young. Poor guy.

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

FossilsAnonymous

@HoppeHunting odontocedete is my fav. The sand tigers there have been very nice recently. I found a thresher there and some beautiful sand tigers last hunt. I was there right after you, on the fifth.

Tidgy's Dad

Nice haul and great photos.:)

I vote for the cookie

PaleoNoel

Really nice finds, I don't think I've ever found a hammerhead tooth before.

KimTexan

I vote #3 odontocedete. I did not find one of those while I was there in October.

Have you hunted Matoaka Beach. There were tons of shells in the stuff fallen from the cliffs/banks. I found a good size chunk of whale bone too.

Nice report. I like the voting idea. It engages people more and you may learn something too about what others value or have difficulty finding.

HoppeHunting
6 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Have you hunted Matoaka Beach. There were tons of shells in the stuff fallen from the cliffs/banks. I found a good size chunk of whale bone too.

Nice report. I like the voting idea. It engages people more and you may learn something too about what others value or have difficulty finding.

I went to Matoaka for the first time a few months ago and came away with tons of awesome invertebrate treasures! Check out my post titled "Matoaka Beach 11/07/18" for a detailed report. And I'm glad you like the voting concept! Thanks for your vote.

Adam86cucv

Hard to choose between 3 & 4.  I'm going to go with 3.  We haven't found any cetacean material on our way hunts yet.  Maybe this'll be our year.

jcbshark

Great pics, love the lower Mako:wub:

Darktooth

Great report and finds! I vote for #1 as it Mako me Happy!;)

Trevor

Awesome finds! +1 for Mako

ClearLake

Definitely #1 for me.  That color is really nice!!  Great finds.  I have only been to Brownies once and we didn't have much luck, but I now realize I did not go nearly far enough south (need waders) and was not diligent enough.  We had spent the better part of the the day at Matoaka and had nice success there, but mostly inverts (which is fine with me).  Maybe next time...

The Jersey Devil

Great finds! I vote for the Odontocete tooth.

KimTexan
26 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Definitely #1 for me.  That color is really nice!!  Great finds.  I have only been to Brownies once and we didn't have much luck, but I now realize I did not go nearly far enough south (need waders) and was not diligent enough.  We had spent the better part of the the day at Matoaka and had nice success there, but mostly inverts (which is fine with me).  Maybe next time...

Maybe you need to read my Brownie’s Beach report from October. I got pretty specific where and how I found most of the teeth I found and it was all before the bend.

Of course the turtle pieces, ray teeth, vertebra, cookies and other stuff were all found around the bend. I was quite happy with what I found. Bigger teeth would have been nice though.

UtahFossilHunter

#3 because that’s the most exotic, at least to me.:ighappy:

Rowboater

Lots of nice teeth!  I would go with the cookie; is it dark before drying?

Littlefoot

I actually didn't know that cookies meant the critter died young! Sad, but interesting fact for me to learn.

I love all your finds, but I'm going to vote for the cookie because I learned something new. Plus, it's a nice cookie!

I love the voting concept! Great idea!

racerzeke

Great teeth and report as always! I vote for #3 because I don't think I've found an Odontocete tooth at Brownie's before... that's why I love it there I always seem to find something different or better.

Look forward to further reports in '19!

ynot

Nice!

I go for the Odontocete tooth.

ShoreThing

Great finds brother! I am glad it was a productive few hours for you. Slow and low is the way to go!