Jump to content
Nimravis

Pennsylvanian Brachiopods from Olgesby, Illinois- PART DEUX

Recommended Posts

Peat Burns

O. M. G. :wub::wub::wub:

:faint::faint::faint:

Those brachs are huge.  Hope they aren't all gone before I get a chance to visit there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raggedy Man
5 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

O. M. G. :wub::wub::wub:

:faint::faint::faint:

Those brachs are huge.  Hope they aren't all gone before I get a chance to visit there.

LOL...I dunno Looks like he cleaned up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
14 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

LOL...I dunno Looks like he cleaned up!

@Nimravis should we continue this discussion in the fossil trading forum :D;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

:faint:

:drool:

:envy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deutscheben

Some very nice brachiopods! The ones with crystal inclusions are great, I have seen some there but not as nice as what you collected. 

 

That first unknown appears to be a part of a tooth-  it has the luster, color and texture of enamel. I couldn't say what it is now, but a little prepping might reveal enough to ID it. 

 

The second ones could be echinoid spines, I have found disarticulated echinoderm plates from this site in the past. 

 

Now you've really got me chomping at the bit to get out there again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

O. M. G. :wub::wub::wub:

:faint::faint::faint:

Those brachs are huge.  Hope they aren't all gone before I get a chance to visit there.

No, there are plenty left and more will pop out. Plus I do not see myself going out there in the next several months, unless they open up the Fossil Park at the old Lonestar Quarry, that is where I will be then.  @Raggedy Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
1 hour ago, deutscheben said:

Some very nice brachiopods! The ones with crystal inclusions are great, I have seen some there but not as nice as what you collected. 

 

That first unknown appears to be a part of a tooth-  it has the luster, color and texture of enamel. I couldn't say what it is now, but a little prepping might reveal enough to ID it. 

 

The second ones could be echinoid spines, I have found disarticulated echinoderm plates from this site in the past. 

 

Now you've really got me chomping at the bit to get out there again! 

Thanks for the info and yes you should get out there. If you do make it, start from the highest level and go down, I would also start with the leftmost scree section. Lastly, check between the cracks of the blocks, when this thing came down, it popped some brachs out like gumballs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Archie

Beautiful finds as always! :) 

That first unknown is definitely a tooth with the crown on the left and root on the right,  looks like a very nice near complete Petalodus sp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al Tahan

Nice trip! Seems like a nice little productive spot. Does this place produce some odd stuff other than brachs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deutscheben
1 hour ago, Archie said:

Beautiful finds as always! :) 

That first unknown is definitely a tooth with the crown on the left and root on the right,  looks like a very nice near complete Petalodus sp. 

Like this? Now that you pointed it out, I think I can see the shape.

 

5c3a9dd60a465_2019-01-1220_03_14.jpg.fcf8e27ec1bca42536321ba27bdeba67.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Nice trip! Seems like a nice little productive spot. Does this place produce some odd stuff other than brachs?

The surrounding area also has Crinoids, trilobites, shark teeth and some other stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis

@deutscheben I took this pic-

 

5CF3D688-A7A3-447B-9964-643E4F5D15DB.thumb.jpeg.bb0d4e185a2231fe3a3ef46093280b5b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis

705069E6-5FE1-4122-A58B-31C94397689E.thumb.jpeg.260396192aa742b772df6abc6c5e47f1.jpeg14F45B4D-4ACB-4276-BC68-ED1DB5CBF253.thumb.jpeg.9c893775f4b664bc6e8c725ec6927082.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raggedy Man
4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

No, there are plenty left and more will pop out. Plus I do not see myself going out there in the next several months, unless they open up the Fossil Park at the old Lonestar Quarry, that is where I will be then.  @Raggedy Man

I read that in the ESCONI news letter. Iwas gonna post a topic here for that, but spaced it out. Ill definitely be there thats for sure. I dont remember, but is that the one the sheriff's department used for training?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al Tahan
40 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

The surrounding area also has Crinoids, trilobites, shark teeth and some other stuff.

:trilo: Nice!!! I love those trilobites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deutscheben
38 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

@deutscheben I took this pic-

 

5CF3D688-A7A3-447B-9964-643E4F5D15DB.thumb.jpeg.bb0d4e185a2231fe3a3ef46093280b5b.jpeg

The shape and the serrations look like Petalodus as @Archie suggested- that color is quite stunning too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monica

What a beautiful brachiopod bounty - WOW!!!  I'm glad to hear that your back is better - congrats on the great finds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
1 hour ago, Monica said:

What a beautiful brachiopod bounty - WOW!!!  I'm glad to hear that your back is better - congrats on the great finds!

Thanks Monica.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossi59

Congratulations to this beautiful find.

 

Franz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Archie

The tooth is beautiful with the two colors on the crown :wub:

Its hard to tell with the edge of the crown being damaged but in these new photos the edge of the crown looks like it may have been multi-cusped so I'm now wondering if it could be a Peripristis sp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
2 hours ago, Archie said:

The tooth is beautiful with the two colors on the crown :wub:

Its hard to tell with the edge of the crown being damaged but in these new photos the edge of the crown looks like it may have been multi-cusped so I'm now wondering if it could be a Peripristis sp.

Archie- I looked up Peripristis sp. and it really does look like the pics I saw. Here are some more pics of this tooth. Thanks for the info.

 

60480DD3-4668-46C8-804E-C987AB948CBE.thumb.jpeg.efc442815d7a5f1be63e572ac400223d.jpegDEBB91ED-3C1E-42BF-8F3A-52A066AA2E16.thumb.jpeg.70acb65c14e205996b292175932ea137.jpegD7AFCE24-719A-45DC-9380-C8BE9A295082.thumb.jpeg.ce9c58396291a29d8396d53c2531c571.jpeg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Archie

Oh yes I'm definitely convinced this is a Peripristis in lingual view with these photos, awesome find! Glad to be of help :D 

Sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×