Nimravis

Pennsylvanian Brachiopods from Olgesby, Illinois- PART DEUX

Peat Burns

O. M. G. :wub::wub::wub:

:faint::faint::faint:

Those brachs are huge.  Hope they aren't all gone before I get a chance to visit there.

Raggedy Man
5 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Those brachs are huge.  Hope they aren't all gone before I get a chance to visit there.

LOL...I dunno Looks like he cleaned up!

Peat Burns
14 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

LOL...I dunno Looks like he cleaned up!

@Nimravis should we continue this discussion in the fossil trading forum :D;)

Tidgy's Dad

:faint:

:drool:

:envy:

deutscheben

Some very nice brachiopods! The ones with crystal inclusions are great, I have seen some there but not as nice as what you collected. 

That first unknown appears to be a part of a tooth-  it has the luster, color and texture of enamel. I couldn't say what it is now, but a little prepping might reveal enough to ID it. 

The second ones could be echinoid spines, I have found disarticulated echinoderm plates from this site in the past. 

Now you've really got me chomping at the bit to get out there again! 

Nimravis
2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

No, there are plenty left and more will pop out. Plus I do not see myself going out there in the next several months, unless they open up the Fossil Park at the old Lonestar Quarry, that is where I will be then.  @Raggedy Man

Nimravis
1 hour ago, deutscheben said:

Some very nice brachiopods! The ones with crystal inclusions are great, I have seen some there but not as nice as what you collected. 

That first unknown appears to be a part of a tooth-  it has the luster, color and texture of enamel. I couldn't say what it is now, but a little prepping might reveal enough to ID it. 

The second ones could be echinoid spines, I have found disarticulated echinoderm plates from this site in the past. 

Now you've really got me chomping at the bit to get out there again! 

Thanks for the info and yes you should get out there. If you do make it, start from the highest level and go down, I would also start with the leftmost scree section. Lastly, check between the cracks of the blocks, when this thing came down, it popped some brachs out like gumballs.

Archie

Beautiful finds as always! :) 

That first unknown is definitely a tooth with the crown on the left and root on the right,  looks like a very nice near complete Petalodus sp. 

Al Tahan

Nice trip! Seems like a nice little productive spot. Does this place produce some odd stuff other than brachs?

deutscheben
1 hour ago, Archie said:

Beautiful finds as always! :) 

That first unknown is definitely a tooth with the crown on the left and root on the right,  looks like a very nice near complete Petalodus sp. 

Like this? Now that you pointed it out, I think I can see the shape.

5c3a9dd60a465_2019-01-1220_03_14.jpg.fcf8e27ec1bca42536321ba27bdeba67.jpg 

Nimravis
1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Nice trip! Seems like a nice little productive spot. Does this place produce some odd stuff other than brachs?

The surrounding area also has Crinoids, trilobites, shark teeth and some other stuff.

Nimravis

@deutscheben I took this pic-

5CF3D688-A7A3-447B-9964-643E4F5D15DB.thumb.jpeg.bb0d4e185a2231fe3a3ef46093280b5b.jpeg

Nimravis

705069E6-5FE1-4122-A58B-31C94397689E.thumb.jpeg.260396192aa742b772df6abc6c5e47f1.jpeg14F45B4D-4ACB-4276-BC68-ED1DB5CBF253.thumb.jpeg.9c893775f4b664bc6e8c725ec6927082.jpeg

Raggedy Man
4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

No, there are plenty left and more will pop out. Plus I do not see myself going out there in the next several months, unless they open up the Fossil Park at the old Lonestar Quarry, that is where I will be then.  @Raggedy Man

I read that in the ESCONI news letter. Iwas gonna post a topic here for that, but spaced it out. Ill definitely be there thats for sure. I dont remember, but is that the one the sheriff's department used for training?

Al Tahan
40 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

The surrounding area also has Crinoids, trilobites, shark teeth and some other stuff.

:trilo: Nice!!! I love those trilobites.

deutscheben
38 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

@deutscheben I took this pic-

5CF3D688-A7A3-447B-9964-643E4F5D15DB.thumb.jpeg.bb0d4e185a2231fe3a3ef46093280b5b.jpeg

The shape and the serrations look like Petalodus as @Archie suggested- that color is quite stunning too. 

Monica

What a beautiful brachiopod bounty - WOW!!!  I'm glad to hear that your back is better - congrats on the great finds!

Nimravis
1 hour ago, Monica said:

What a beautiful brachiopod bounty - WOW!!!  I'm glad to hear that your back is better - congrats on the great finds!

Thanks Monica.

fossi59

Congratulations to this beautiful find.

Franz

Archie

The tooth is beautiful with the two colors on the crown :wub:

Its hard to tell with the edge of the crown being damaged but in these new photos the edge of the crown looks like it may have been multi-cusped so I'm now wondering if it could be a Peripristis sp.

Nimravis
2 hours ago, Archie said:

The tooth is beautiful with the two colors on the crown :wub:

Its hard to tell with the edge of the crown being damaged but in these new photos the edge of the crown looks like it may have been multi-cusped so I'm now wondering if it could be a Peripristis sp.

Archie- I looked up Peripristis sp. and it really does look like the pics I saw. Here are some more pics of this tooth. Thanks for the info.

60480DD3-4668-46C8-804E-C987AB948CBE.thumb.jpeg.efc442815d7a5f1be63e572ac400223d.jpegDEBB91ED-3C1E-42BF-8F3A-52A066AA2E16.thumb.jpeg.70acb65c14e205996b292175932ea137.jpegD7AFCE24-719A-45DC-9380-C8BE9A295082.thumb.jpeg.ce9c58396291a29d8396d53c2531c571.jpeg

Archie

Oh yes I'm definitely convinced this is a Peripristis in lingual view with these photos, awesome find! Glad to be of help :D 

Sam