DeepTimeIsotopes

Alright, so I noticed there isn't really a go-to form on the internet for asking permission from private property owners to collect on their land. So I compiled all the requests and suggested clauses from here:

and here

and here

and several other private property permission forms into one specifically for fossil, mineral, and rock collectors. 

I put it all into these documents as a general cover-all forms. 

FULL VERSION WITH HOLD COLLECTORS HARMLESS

Property Owner Permission and Liability Release Agreement.pdf

@DPS Ammonite's suggested version:

Property Owner Permission and Liability Release Agreement(updated).pdf

@Wrangellian's suggested version

PROPERTY OWNER PERMISSION AND LIABILITY RELEASE AGREEMENT one page.pdf

I hope this can be of use to those needing some kind of permission form for collecting on private land.

If you do not like it or don't think it covers anything feel free to edit it and post the edited versions here. 

• I found this Informative 6

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

You might have trouble getting a land owner to sign your hold harmless agreement since it also holds harmless the actions of the collector for any damage they do on the landowners property. 

“I agree to hold the collector(s) and their other chosen collecting partners listed above harmless from and forever discharge them from any and all liability for damages, injury, or loss which
may be sustained as a result of their entry into the private property described in this agreement.”

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You might have trouble getting a land owner to sign your hold harmless agreement since it also holds harmless the actions of the collector for any damage they do on the landowners property. 

“I agree to hold the collector(s) and their other chosen collecting partners listed above harmless from and forever discharge them from any and all liability for damages, injury, or loss which
may be sustained as a result of their entry into the private property described in this agreement.”

Alright, that can be modified. What do you recommend?

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

5 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Eliminate the hold harmless part for harm done by the collectors.

Ok, done.:dinothumb: Anything else come to mind that I should change?

• I found this Informative 1

Seems like a good idea, for those property owners who are worried about such things, in your litigious American society! ;) (which it appears to be increasingly up here too) On the other hand it might turn some of them off. If I understand human nature (debatable), some people might not like the idea of being bound in some formal agreement, and refuse to sign, whereas they might easily give informal (verbal) permission. I may be wrong, but I've met people like that in other areas of endeavor. Upon approaching a landowner, maybe the informal method should be tried first, then if it looks like it's going in the legalistic direction, pull out this form.

If you could pare it down to one page, that might make it less intimidating, and also simpler/more practical, than 3 pages.

• I found this Informative 2

57 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Seems like a good idea, for those property owners who are worried about such things. On the other hand it might turn some of them off. If I understand human nature (debatable), some people might not like the idea of being bound in some formal agreement, and refuse to sign, whereas they might easily give informal (verbal) permission. I may be wrong, but I've met people like that in other areas of endeavor. Upon approaching a landowner, maybe the informal method should be tried first, then if it looks like it's going in the legalistic direction, pull out this form.

If you could pare it down to one page, that might make it less intimidating, and also simpler/more practical, than 3 pages.

I don’t want to tell anybody that they need a permission form or that they must use one. I just want one to be available for those seeking one. I put it in a big font to make it seem less like the fine print in things like buying cars, Apple’s terms of service, etc. It can be easily modified as it should be a font most devices understand.

Here is the one page format if anyone wants it:

PROPERTY OWNER PERMISSION AND LIABILITY RELEASE AGREEMENT one page.pdf

Edited by UtahFossilHunter
EDIT: added to top post as well

I knew you weren't saying everyone must use this, I'm just thinking about the potential reaction you might get when you shove such a thing under someone's nose!

6 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I knew you weren't saying everyone must use this, I'm just thinking about the potential reaction you might get when you shove such a thing under someone's nose!

Yeah, I understand that and I agree. Try an informal way first but if they are the type that want reassurance they won’t be sued if anything goes wrong, this form is available for that occasion.