jonplafoy

I found this fossil a few weeks ago. It was in a creek bed that flows during the wet season but has pools in the dry. I know the creek has sandstone, but it also looks like it has limestone and possibly slate. There is also a lot of rocks containing rust. This fossil appears to be stained with it. I am located in Western Kentucky near Hopkinsville. 

One side looks like it is ribs. The other side is smooth and one part is unusually round. There are pockets that appear to be filled with sediment that has solidified into rock. 

I've added pictures from all sides and others with measurements. I will add them as replies since the files are too large.  I wish I had more, but this is all I have.

20190215_081316.jpg

I'm far from an expert but it looks to be just rippled sandstone which could be indicative of underwater formation so other fossils may be present, it appears to be mostly Mississippian aged rocks around there, I would look up fossils from around that area to get an eye for what you might find.

• I found this Informative 2

6 minutes ago, Rayminazzi said:

I'm far from an expert but it looks to be just rippled sandstone which could be indicative of underwater formation so other fossils may be present, it appears to be mostly Mississippian aged rocks around there, I would look up fossils from around that area to get an eye for what you might find.

Ray, 

I've seen what you are talking about. Many times I have thought those to be fossils until I noticed they were just rock. This one is different, and biggest thing is the smooth and round back side and the crevices that are filled with rick. The the third to last photo I uploaded you can see the distinct separation. 

I will look for what you have suggested. Thanks. 

it is a geologic feature

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

18 hours ago, Herb said:

it is a geologic feature

Herb, I know little to nothing in regards to geology and fossils, so I ask this in humility: how do you explain the areas that are filled with a different type of rock? The lighter color stone is wrapped by the darker stone, which is all one consistent piece. 

17 hours ago, ynot said:

I agree with a geologic structure.

Looks like foliated sandstone.

Ynot, please see my question to Herb. 

it is very common in sandstones to show banding and layering of different compositions.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

1 hour ago, jonplafoy said:

Herb, I know little to nothing in regards to geology and fossils, so I ask this in humility: how do you explain the areas that are filled with a different type of rock? The lighter color stone is wrapped by the darker stone, which is all one consistent piece. 

What Herb said and when mountains are pushed up the rock can bend and stretch and compress into all sorts of weird shapes.

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.