Which of these spinosaurus claws?

Pterygotus

These are all fake not genuine 

Even when real claws are sold as Spinosaurus you cannot determine what spinosaurid from the Kem Kem they are from, Sigilmassasaurus or Spinosaurus indet.

• I found this Informative 6

When you say "fake" are you just speaking of the overly-specific taxonomy or are you suggesting that the claws themselves are not genuine (fabricated)?

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Nice to have you back from your break so we can get your input on items like this. ;)

9 minutes ago, digit said:

When you say "fake" are you just speaking of the overly-specific taxonomy or are you suggesting that the claws themselves are not genuine (fabricated)?

Thanks.

These look fabricated

• I found this Informative 1

Seem pretty convincing (to these naive eyes). Is there an obvious tell that you are picking up on or is it more of a subtle heuristic after seeing lots of real and fake items?

Cheers.

-Ken

57 minutes ago, digit said:

Is there an obvious tell that you are picking up on

The bone grain does not curve with the claw and the nutrient groove is off.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Parts of these claws appear to be real and composited with fabricated parts.   Also the blood groove is the hardest feature to replicate.

This is why you won't catch me buying something like that--way way out of my depth and an easy mark for being sold a fabrication.

It's a shame as that claw would have looked really nice next to my genuine Rembrandt I just bought online--who knew that he painted dogs playing poker? :P

Cheers.

-Ken

21 minutes ago, digit said:

This is why you won't catch me buying something like that--way way out of my depth and an easy mark for being sold a fabrication.

It's a shame as that claw would have looked really nice next to my genuine Rembrandt I just bought online--who knew that he painted dogs playing poker? :P

Cheers.

-Ken

I'm with you Ken, going back a few months I probably would have bought this. It's one of the great things about this forum you quickly learn what's real and what's not, but at the same time it's kinda depressing!

Ignorance is bliss but being informed helps save you from costly purchases of inferior items. ;)

Helping point out fossil fabrications is one small facet of TFF. It is often tricky to do just from photos without having the item in hand but sometimes we get lucky when the fabrication is obvious (to those in the know).

The nice thing is that today's lesson will live on in the archives of TFF and may continue to spread the knowledge within our membership.

Cheers.

-Ken