What claw is this? Tarbosaurus?

Oxalaia

Does someone know what dinosaur this claw is from? Tarbosaurus?

It is 62mm in lenght and from the Djadokhta Formation, late Cretaceous .

Screenshot_35.png

Screenshot_34.png

Well this is what a Tarbo foot claws looks like and appears different than the one you posted.  Not the morphology of a tyrannosaurid.  Looks like it has resto to the tip area.

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Wrong formation for Tarbosaurus. Tarbo is from Negmet formation.

Tarbosaurus fossils have been found in the Djadokhta formation.

28 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Well this is what a Tarbo foot claws looks like and appears different than the one you posted.  Not the morphology of a tyrannosaurid.  Looks like it has resto to the tip area.

Thanks, what dinosaur do you think this claw belongs to?

5 minutes ago, Oxalaia said:

Tarbosaurus fossils have been found in the Djadokhta formation.

The slightly older age of the Djadokhta Fm argues against T bataar but remains have been found that resemble Tarbo but have not been assigned to that Genus.   No idea on the claw .

Attached find a photo of an Alioramus claw its not that but there is some resemblance to your claw.   Unfortunately the tip looks restored and who know what it should look like.  There are a few unnamed tyrannosaurids in this fauna so it could be one of them but not Tarbosaurus.   Not sure you are going to be able to assign it to any specific dinosaur not a lot is published that I can find. 

Best ID: Theropod indet.

Alior.JPG.10fc2dab7366a67a5a2411289caaea1d.JPG

Ref:

THE OSTEOLOGY OF ALIORAMUS, A GRACILE AND LONG-SNOUTED TYRANNOSAURID (DINOSAURIA: THEROPODA) FROM THE
LATE CRETACEOUS OF MONGOLIA.  STEPHEN L . BRUSATTE, THOMAS D. CARR, AND MARK A. NORELL

• I found this Informative 4

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Best ID: Theropod indet.

I think we can narrow it down to Coelurosauria, maybe even Tyrannoraptora indet., no? :) 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

3 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

I think we can narrow it down to Coelurosauria, maybe even Tyrannoraptora indet., no? :) 

-Christian

If I cannot place the item in a family group or I'm unfamiliar with the locality like Mongolia, my fallback is theropod indet.  Just too many unknowns, what if its in the Ceratosauria group of theropods.  Not sure many would know what those two names refer to but everyone knows "theropod".

• I found this Informative 2

Hello. The claw is very likely a hallux claw. Digit I-2 of the right foot. So I agree with @Troodon on the similarity to the Alioramus Digit I claw he illustrated. A photo of the articulating end head on would go a long way towards a more definitive claw position. Like in the photo @Troodon provided. Though I feel confident it is a hallux. 

In a correspondence with Mark Norell of AMNH in 2013 he told me that other than suspected shed teeth, no definitive Tyrannosaur material had yet been found (to that date) in the Djadochta Formation, yet they “should be there” but are “probably environmentally excluded.”

So I would say it is tyrannosaurid and should be labeled as: tyranosauridae sp. indet. 

P. S. The claw’s tip is restored incorrectly. If you end up getting it you should have it redone. 

• I found this Informative 2