Crinoid, blastoid? From flint hills of Kansas

Ramo

Absolutely GORGEOUS crinoid calyx! :wub:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

That is not the anal side.  It will look a bit different than the other sides.  I think you just need to turn it a bit more to reveal the anal side. 

Joe

I think I have determined the anal side from one of your pics.  See pic below.   Lay it on its side and take a pic. It should look a bit different and have extra plates.

Joe

2019-02-26_172841.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I'll get some new pictures this evening.

Thanks again 

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Ok,  I was able to get some additional photos.  Unfortunately the focus is off on one.

20190227_203548.jpg

20190227_203519.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

The more i see it, the more i find it gorgeous !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

14 hours ago, Ramo said:

20190227_175117.jpg

This is the picture of the anal side.  There are two plates right in the middle that will lead to the tegmen.  This eliminates what I was thinking.  I will do some research and see what I can come up with.  Is the Permian or Pennsylvanian?

Joe

• I found this Informative 1

I am pretty sure it is Permian in age.

-Aldo Leopold

I think what you have here is a really nice and probably rare crinoid crown of the family Cromyocrinidea.  These crinoids ranged from the Mississippian to the Permian.  Problems is that most of them are Pennsylvanian.  I know nothing about Kansas crinoids and really can't help you more that this.  You probably need to find an expert on Permian or Kansas crinoids.   Bill Ausich probably can help. If not, then at least lead you in the proper direction.  He is at Ohio State.   You probably need to be sure that it is Permian.  

Joe

Thank you Crinus.  I will pass on your information to my brother, and let you know if he follows up on it.

-Aldo Leopold

6 hours ago, crinus said:

I think what you have here is a really nice and probably rare crinoid crown of the family Cromyocrinidea.  These crinoids ranged from the Mississippian to the Permian.  Problems is that most of them are Pennsylvanian.  I know nothing about Kansas crinoids and really can't help you more that this.  You probably need to find an expert on Permian or Kansas crinoids.   Bill Ausich probably can help. If not, then at least lead you in the proper direction.  He is at Ohio State.   You probably need to be sure that it is Permian.  

Joe

Here is a link to the geology of Wabaunsee County. It could be Pennsylvanian-Permian.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1068/report.pdf

This is pretty old and there may be a newer publication somewhere.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:51 AM, crinus said:

Is the Permian or Pennsylvanian?

That can be a tricky question in regards to the Flint Hills in Kansas. Exactly where the boundary between the two in Kansas has been debated for years. The latest I’ve read is the base of the Bennet Shale is considered the boundary. 

B38698C3-1EEB-4D2C-90AD-3C85D0B2AEA7.jpeg

23E96BB7-55BC-472B-9A50-5024A7FA2506.jpeg