Micro-sites between LA and San Diego?

MEverson

I'm heading down to Newport Beach, CA- south of LA.  Does anyone know of micro-sites there with access? 

I'm also looking for information on local stratigraphy there.  Any on-line resources that you could recommend? 

I'm new to collecting- and have been learning a lot from reading previous related posts.  

Your suggestions and advice are welcome.

Try searching the TFF Fossil Trips for CA. Lots of great info there.

Good luck wishes from the East Coast.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Coming down from where?

I dont know of any sites where you are apt to find micros that far south.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

17 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Try searching the TFF Fossil Trips for CA. Lots of great info there.

Good luck wishes from the East Coast.

Thanks!  I checked it out briefly before, but there didn't seem to be much there.  One spot down by San Diego, but I'm not sure I'm going to get that far down.   Since I'm brand-new at this, I'll just sample lots of layers that seem interesting and see what comes up.    

16 hours ago, caldigger said:

Coming down from where?

I dont know of any sites where you are apt to find micros that far south.

Coming down from 4 Corners region- NM, on the train, with family. 

7 hours ago, MEverson said:

I'll just sample lots of layers that seem interesting and see what comes up.    

That is exactly the best way to check out any site for micros.  Micros concentrate in thin lenses sometimes only a few inches thick.  So look for lag or rework layers where you see lots of black phosphate  or small gravel concentrations.  Look for teeth actually sticking out of the formation.  Look for contacts between two obviously different layers (different colors, clay versus sand, shelly versus no shells) and sample the contacts.  If you don't find one of these lenses, you could take a dump truck worth of matrix and only find a few teeth.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

19 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

If you don't find one of these lenses, you could take a dump truck worth of matrix and only find a few teeth.

Or nothing at all except a dump truck full of sand. :wacko:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

That is exactly the best way to check out any site for micros.  Micros concentrate in thin lenses sometimes only a few inches thick.  So look for lag or rework layers where you see lots of black phosphate  or small gravel concentrations.  Look for teeth actually sticking out of the formation.  Look for contacts between two obviously different layers (different colors, clay versus sand, shelly versus no shells) and sample the contacts.  If you don't find one of these lenses, you could take a dump truck worth of matrix and only find a few teeth.

Marco Sr.

Yes- thank you.  I was hoping for some advice on this.