Madagascar Ammonite ID

JulianoLPD

Hi there fellow,

Bought this from that auction web site and was hoping someone could give me an ID.

I know it's been polished and all, so I really don't know what is possible to accomplish with these pictures. Any help would be much appreciated.

IMG_20190310_144527.jpg

It's probably a Cleoniceras besiarei, that's the most commonly sold ammonite from Madagascar and it looks like yours. It's probably from Mahajanga in Madagascar and from the early Cretaceous

• I found this Informative 3

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thank you very much Max.

By the way, is there any topic or any place I can read about Ammonite identification? Is there some kind of key or something?

Just now, JulianoLPD said:

Thank you very much Max.

By the way, is there any topic or any place I can read about Ammonite identification? Is there some kind of key or something?

Well, you can always search up 'ammonite in the forum search bar when you're on the home menu, could find some interesting stuff. Otherwise Google is a great place to learn more about it too. The Wikipedia page already has a lot of information, but if you don't want that then you can also just click on any other websites shown to you. 

Otherwise go check out @Fruitbat's PDF library, I'm sure you'll find some interesting stuff in there (scroll down to Cephalopoda under Mollusca). 

Otherwise I''m sure that our ammonite-experts here can point you towards more stuff, amongst others @Ludwigia @PFOOLEY @FossilDAWG 

But Google is probably the best place to start for basic information :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

"besairei" is their species name :)

wrong, ... besairiei is correct... Cleoniceras.pdf

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

"besairei" is their species name :)

wrong, ... besairiei is correct... Cleoniceras.pdf

Weird... was the researcher's name not Besaire?

3 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

Cleoniceras besiariei is now called Aioloceras besiariei. 

Great, another label to change! Do you have a reference for this?

27 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Weird... was the researcher's name not Besaire?

I think his name was Henri Besairie and the last "i" in the species name means that is related to his name. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

16 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Great, another label to change! Do you have a reference for this?

William & Klinger 2012.  Cretaceous faunas from Zululand and Natal, South Africa. The desmoceratoid ammonite genera Moretella Collignon, 1963, Beudanticeras Hitzel, 1902, and Aioloceras Whitehouse, 1926.  African Natural History, Volume 8 pgs 55-75.

link 

Here is the current name, from the linked paper:

Aioloceras besairiei (Collignon, 1949)

The synonymy list for Aioloceras besairiei  is interesting.  Collignon apparently was quite a "splitter", and so several of his species of Cleoniceras have been merged with Aioloceras besairiei.

Don