Largest T rex is Described from Canada

Troodon

Step aside Sue, the T rex.  The attached article finally describes the largest T rex discovered from the Frenchmans Formation of Saskatchewan, Canada after being discovered in 1991 

Abstract

Here we describe an extremely large and relatively complete (roughly 65%) skeleton of Tyrannosaurus rex (RSM P2523.8). Multiple measurements (including those of the skull, hip, and limbs) show that RSM P2523.8 was a robust individual with an estimated body mass exceeding all other known T. rex specimens and representatives of all other gigantic terrestrial theropods

(Paywalled) :(

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.24118#.XJQsTuqqy7k.twitter

An Older and Exceptionally Large Adult Specimen of Tyrannosaurus rex

W. Scott Persons IV,  Philip J. Currie, Gregory M. Erickson

First published: 21 March 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.24118

IMG_9454.jpg

• I found this Informative 18

I'm intrigued by the "making it likely that most taxa grew to significantly greater size". Looking forward to hearing more from this. Thanks

Awesome!!!!!! I want access to the full article!

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Oh this is Scotty? I thought it was a new specimen. 

Sue is still slightly longer though? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

54 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Oh this is Scotty? I thought it was a new specimen. 

Sue is still slightly longer though? 

Yes its Scotty.  The skeleton was never described and measurements quantified.  The femur which is the key indicator of size as well as the other limb bones are larger than Sue.  Sue is still the most complete one around

Although Black Beauty (so-called due to the color of the fossilized bone) is the most interesting T. rex specimen found in Canada, the T. rex specimen from Saskatchewan is jaw dropping to me size-wise. Anyone sure if the T. rex from Saskatchewan rivals Spinosaurus in size?

1 hour ago, DD1991 said:

Although Black Beauty (so-called due to the color of the fossilized bone) is the most interesting T. rex specimen found in Canada, the T. rex specimen from Saskatchewan is jaw dropping to me size-wise. Anyone sure if the T. rex from Saskatchewan rivals Spinosaurus in size?

I think they're saying this is the biggest, or at least has the biggest body mass of any terrestrial carnivore. 

So I am going to have to get out and find a bigger Spinosaurus.:rolleyes:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I have access through my institution and can share some of the gory details if anyone is curious. Is it ethical to share details from a paywalled paper? Is that "stealing?"

Very exciting news :) 

I would love to have some actual numbers. How big/long was Scotty or some bones of it? 

And while I was searching the topic: It was actually pritty hard to find an acurate measurement of Sue.

Everybody seems to be just copying the Wikipedia page. But the Wikipedia source is actually the museum itself. CLICK

At more than 40 feet long and 13 feet tall at the hip [...]

40 feet are 12,19 Meters.  And "more than" doesn't sound where precise. :ninja: Is there a paper regarding Sue?

4 hours ago, Pumpkinhead said:

I have access through my institution and can share some of the gory details if anyone is curious. Is it ethical to share details from a paywalled paper? Is that "stealing?"

Does it say anything about the animals age besides that it's an old animal?

At 28 Sue was the oldest until Trix at over 30 was found. Though Trix is older, it's slightly smaller than Sue at around 12 meters long.

2 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

40 feet are 12,19 Meters.  And "more than" doesn't sound where precise. :ninja: Is there a paper regarding Sue?

It's generally based on estimates because we often don't have complete animals. Exact measurements can be taken from individual bones but that's no substitute for the measurement of a complete animal. On both Sue and Stan most of the animal length was recovered so the estimates should be pretty good on those individuals. Trix, while big, doesn't have as much of the tail preserved and thus there is more interpretation. But being a very new mount I there was more added space in between the vertebrae for the intervertebral discs. As far as I know many older mounts don't have as much added space in between the vertebrae. So it might be that some of the older mounts need to be scaled up slightly in length.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Does it say anything about the animals age besides that it's an old animal?

At 28 Sue was the oldest until Trix at over 30 was found. Though Trix is older, it's slightly smaller than Sue at around 12 meters long.

It's generally based on estimates because we often don't have complete animals. Exact measurements can be taken from individual bones but that's no substitute for the measurement of a complete animal. On both Sue and Stan most of the animal length was recovered so the estimates should be pretty good on those individuals. Trix, while big, doesn't have as much of the tail preserved and thus there is more interpretation. But being a very new mount I there was more added space in between the vertebrae for the intervertebral discs. As far as I know many older mounts don't have as much added space in between the vertebrae. So it might be that some of the older mounts need to be scaled up slightly in length.

"The extent of remodelling in RSM P2523.8 precludes direct aging using a total growth line count, as has been done for other tyrannosaurid specimens (Erickson et al., 2004; Erickson, 2005). Nevertheless, the degree of remodelling exceeds that reported in any T. rex long bone (Erickson et al., 2004; Horner and Padian, 2004). This suggests the animal is of at least comparable, and likely more advanced ontogenetic status than the ~28 year old, somatically mature T. rex specimen FMNH PR 2081 (Erickson et al., 2004). Thus, the histological analysis may offer independent support for the prediction that high robustness correlates with greater maturity."

This is the most numerical quote I could find, the paper also refers to Scotty as "elder" and having "ontogenetic maturity."

• I found this Informative 2

This undated and unlocated handout photo released by the University of Alberta shows part of the skeleton of the Tyrannosaurus rex "Scotty". The towering Tyrannosaurus rex discovered in western Canada in 1991 is the world's biggest, a team, of palaeontologists said on March 22,2019 following a decades-long process of reconstructing its skeleton (Photo by: HO / UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA/AFP)

Check out the 3rd and 4th pics - tooth from Saskatchewan's famous T. Rex Scotty, found near EastendSK.

unnamed.jpg

untitledSCOTTY.png

1920_190322-scotty-t-rex-banner-973959.thumb.jpg.1dfcd0390c3d778eb5bbd33f0702adf8.jpg

DovhpZeUYAApjVk.thumb.jpg.923a48b6fe80bcb0c937c4d9233e15f1.jpg

Co87jR7VYAAMEfm.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

• 3 weeks later...

Evan Johnson-Ransom posted this Skeletal comparisons of the Tyrannosaurus specimens SUE and Scotty 

Commented that you can see variations in their skulls where Sue’s is longer and Scotty’s is deeper and the former having a longer torso than Scotty’s compact torso. Artwork by Elma Coumbe

5cb1c824bb3c5_D3XWzvaX4AAFMPi(1).jpeg.4d4414f04bc2373001b73ab622efaa3c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4