Hell Creek Tooth ID

Sauronitholestes07

2.7mm long “raptor” tooth found in Garfield County, Montana. Isn’t curved and has serrations. Possibly enat tooth.IMG_2353.thumb.jpeg.69bac538908ede16ca99121900af05fa.jpegIMG_2352.thumb.jpeg.a9da6bc5252e1dc0f0d6229ad49bab0c.jpeg

An even smaller tooth than last time... same answer - indeterminate. What is an "enat"?

Closest match is "morphotype 6" described in a paper last year - small, basal constriction, and fine serrations that may not persist to the apex. The authors note others referred similar teeth to Richardoestesia isosceles, and that the denticles resemble those of ziphosuchian crocodyliforms.

Screenshot2024-03-21at12_24_32AM.thumb.png.9c637553a7b16ae81bb0b7afd9c396cd.png

^ Mohr SR, Acorn JH, Currie PJ (2023) Putative avian teeth from the Late Cretaceous of Alberta, Canada, are more likely from crocodilians. PLoS ONE 18(3): e0283581. https://doi.org/ 10.1371/journal.pone.0283581

• I found this Informative 4

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Reminds me a bit of Hadamasuchus teeth from the Kem Kem beds, so my best guess would also be crocodyliform .

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

An even smaller tooth than last time... same answer - indeterminate. What is an "enat"?

Closest match is "morphotype 6" described in a paper last year - small, basal constriction, and fine serrations that may not persist to the apex. The authors note others referred similar teeth to Richardoestesia isosceles, and that the denticles resemble those of ziphosuchian crocodyliforms.

Screenshot2024-03-21at12_24_32AM.thumb.png.9c637553a7b16ae81bb0b7afd9c396cd.png

^ Mohr SR, Acorn JH, Currie PJ (2023) Putative avian teeth from the Late Cretaceous of Alberta, Canada, are more likely from crocodilians. PLoS ONE 18(3): e0283581. https://doi.org/ 10.1371/journal.pone.0283581

I assumed that 'enat' is (misspelled) short for enantiornithes.

Thanks for this paper. 

• I Agree 1