Hi all the seller says that this is a spinosaur claw from Kem Kem however it look a fake to me and or/carved out of a bone or some other material.

Not too sure what to make of the blood groove either as that's how alot of fakes can be spotted but again that looks carved out too! 

s-l1600z.jpg

s-l1b600.jpg

s-l1h00.jpg

s-l16c0.jpg

s-l16f00.jpg

s-l16g00.jpg

s-l16gh0.jpg

s-l160c0.jpg

See above shape just doesn't look right especially around the tip area

s-l160d0.jpg

s-l160v0.jpg

crack above..

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600b.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

That specimen has been posted on TFF before. Agreed it looks carved.

• I found this Informative 1

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Yeah, fake for sure.  Nice carving though.  Really shows how one really must be carefull when buying fossils nowadays!  Kinda sad really.

RB

Just saw it pop up on the popular auction site again but thanks for confirming my initial thoughts about the claw.

1 hour ago, Oxalaia said:

Spinosaurid hand claws are heavily faked for some reason. I see fakes on online all the time.

Both teeth and claws are "sexy" fossils. Teeth are common and thus not faked as much. Claws much rarer and thus are faked much more often.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

48 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Both teeth and claws are "sexy" fossils. Teeth are common and thus not faked as much. Claws much rarer and thus are faked much more often.

Yes. The Spinosaurus name fetches more money. I see crocodile jaws with spino teeth all the time, labeling them Spinosaurus jaw-section.

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Couldn't have said it better myself and so many naive collectors sellers buy them for a price that is very attractive price over there, thinking oh I can make hundreds on this one specimen then either place them in the center of the collection feeling proud only to never realize its a piece of carved bone or they re-sell it on, of which these two outcomes I don't know which is worse.

While we're at it and just for curiosity's sake: Could a Spino or more general any Theropod replace its claws like it could with the teeth? Like when a claw broke off.

Or where claws just constantly growing like our finger nails?

I have no idea. :) 

59 minutes ago, Abstraktum said:

While we're at it and just for curiosity's sake: Could a Spino or more general any Theropod replace its claws like it could with the teeth? Like when a claw broke off.

Or where claws just constantly growing like our finger nails?

I have no idea. :) 

I found this video from Dinosaur George informative. Only just watched it myself this week. See 4:12 in video

There’s plenty of real ones available. I don’t know why there are so many fakes. That one doesn’t even look close to being real other than the shape a little bit and they even got that wrong