Close Echinoids

MB

Thanks a lot! It reminds me of one found in the Cretaceous...

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks a lot! It reminds me of one found in the Cretaceous...

Maybe you mean Hemipneustes striatoradiatus.

post-456-1211751749_thumb.jpg

I find those on occasion near my home...... B)

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Maybe you mean Hemipneustes striatoradiatus.

post-456-1211751749_thumb.jpg

I find those on occasion near my home...... B)

Well, does look similar. I found an ech almost 2 years ago, and it seems to be a new one,

It looked so much like that previous one, and it about stopped my heart.

The man writing the paper did say I could display pics but just not all over the place.

I am pretty excited as it will bear my name, if all goes as planned. Guess even after the paper is released it maybe several more years. Not sure how that works exactly. I am not bragging but am proud and most excited about the whole thing! It reminds, but apparently there are differences.

Well, here she is. Unfortunately, I gave the best ones to the guy at the museum doing the paper as he needed them.

These are from the Ozan formation (Cretaceous)in Arkansas. I am going back there with my friend/hunting buddy maybe in 3 weeks and try to get some intact ones.

The pic is of 2 different ones as I do not have a good intact one at this time. Thought you could see the details better.

post-13-1211759386_thumb.jpg

post-13-1211759371_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, MB, didn't mean to hijack your post. I posted before I thought!

Welcome to the forum!

MB

Yes, that type I think. Someone saw it and was saying they thought it was a

Faujasia chelonium. Said it was in the book, "North American Cretaceous Echinoids , written by Jim Westler.

(1913) I cannot find a pic online anywhere. Do you have one of those in your collection? If you do, could you please post it?

Thanks

Roz

Welcome to the forum!

According to the following F. chelonium is not it's current name.

http://www.hgms.org/publications/GeneraTex...usEchinoids.pdf

A search on, http://cretaceousfossils.com/content/view/86/110/ gives, http://cretaceousfossils.com/content/view/135/166/ but does not mention the sp chelonium

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

MB

Faujasia chelonium. Said it was in the book, "North American Cretaceous Echinoids , written by Jim Westler.

(1913) I cannot find a pic online anywhere. Do you have one of those in your collection? If you do, could you please post it?

Thanks

Roz

Roz,I have not any like your echinoid, and I don't know all your TX echinoids ... I have enough with my local urchins... :blush: and if do you have any extra I accept it ;)

but among the Cassiduloids, Faujasids are always very very curious urchins.

Are Bill right with its identification? seems very close to your urchin, yes? a photo of the periproct may help us.

:)

Thank you MB!!,

I have not idea about the third picture. do you maybe have any suggestion about it? of course it is from the Eocene from Alicante -Luteciense.

Roz,I have not any like your echinoid, and I don't know all your TX echinoids ... I have enough with my local urchins... :blush: and if do you have any extra I accept it ;)

but among the Cassiduloids, Faujasids are always very very curious urchins.

Are Bill right with its identification? seems very close to your urchin, yes? a photo of the periproct may help us.

MB,

Well, it will be in that family (or close) but not that echinoid. There are differences which are subtle. I emailed the

person that is writing the paper, as assurance I guess. I will look and see if I have another ech with the perioduct.

Sure wish I would have saved the pics of the most intact ones...

Thanks for the links, Bill...

Welcome to the forum!

MB

Thanks

Roz

Roz:

The echinoid that they were referring to is Domechinus chelonium (Cooke, 1953). This cassiduloid was originally identified as Faujasia by Cooke and later referred to Domechinus by Porter M. Kier in 1962 in the paper "Revision of the Cassiduloid Echinoids" Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections 144-3. Faujasia chelonium was found in the Escondido Formation (Maastrichtian) of Maverick County, Texas according to C.W. Cooke in USGS Professional Paper 254-A, "American Upper Cretaceous Echinoidea" on pp. 13-14 and illustrated in Plate 4, figures 11-14. Photographs of Domechinus chelonium are provided here for your information. Hardouinia and Domechinus are very similar except for the location of the periproct and the gonopores. The periproct on Hardouinia is above the margin in a pronounced sulcus whereas the periproct on Domechinus is located at the margin in a small indentation. The gonopores are located in the plates on Domechinus and outside the plates on Hardouinia.

The absence of the periproct above the margin on your specimens would likely indicate Domechinus and may represent a new species due to the difference in age (Lower Tayloran versus upper Maastrichtian). It would be great if it were a new species, although it would represent one more echinoid from the Cretaceous of Texas and Arkansas that I don't have in my collection! By the way, I have never heard of a publication "North American Cretaceous Echinoids" by Jim Westler written in 1913. I also apologize for hijacking on this post as well, but I thought this needed to go here.

Regards,

Mike

txemiku:

The regular echinoid in the third photograph looks very much like a weathered Echinopsis elegans (Agassiz, 1846), which is also found in the Eocene. I have a specimen in my collection from the Eocene (Priabonien) near Médoc, France. MB will probably be able to identify it more closely for you.

Regards,

Mike

Ok, I understand now. I don't know that much about echinoids, but it the images at

the museum, the flower-looking petals (on the top) are both much thicker and shorter,

than these. Tried to get a better pic. Do you see what I mean? Another thing I notice with both

on the museum site, is they both appear to be almost wavy at the bottom (looking at

them sitting flat on the page). Mine looks straighter when it sits. Sure hope

that makes sense.

The pic of the periproct is from another one, as they ones are have now in my possession

are pretty shot as you can see, and one might have a good top, another the bottom, and one the side.post-13-1211870886_thumb.jpg

post-13-1211870905_thumb.jpg

The name and author of that book, was given to me from someone in the UK. He has a copy. I tried

several online rare book sellers, and the search came up blank...

Thanks

Found another with the periproct, but it is so eroded could not be sure that is what it is.

post-13-1211893552_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to a photo of the Faujasia (Domechinus) chelonium

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/pro...men.jsp?id=3054

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Thanks,Cody, but was when I lived in Clark County, Arkansas for those.

Tried to find the same formation here, but not as many formations as Ozan here.

Welcome to the forum!

MB,

Well, it will be in that family (or close) but not that echinoid. There are differences which are subtle. I emailed the

person that is writing the paper, as assurance I guess. I will look and see if I have another ech with the perioduct.

Sure wish I would have saved the pics of the most intact ones...

Thanks for the links, Bill...

Roz, it is Rozechinus new genus !!! :P

Seriously, it seems closer to the Hordouinia type seeing the periproct situation and form, but I don't know more... closer photo of apical plates and gonopores should be useful as well.

Nice finds anyway

txemiku:

The regular echinoid in the third photograph looks very much like a weathered Echinopsis elegans (Agassiz, 1846), which is also found in the Eocene. I have a specimen in my collection from the Eocene (Priabonien) near Médoc, France. MB will probably be able to identify it more closely for you.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Txemi and Mike,

Mike very thanks for your inputs.

Txemi:there should be useful a lateral view of this third urchin, I guess it is a flat urchin, closer to micropsis or other curious regular urchins that Txemi have in their county ... ;)

Hi Txemi and Mike,

Mike very thanks for your inputs.

Txemi:there should be useful a lateral view of this third urchin, I guess it is a flat urchin, closer to micropsis or other curious regular urchins that Txemi have in their county ... ;)

Hi again MB and Mike,

i have been checking both possibilities with some documents from a friend and it corresponds surely to micropsis tremadesi

Thanks a lot for the help!!! You guys know that my strong point are trilobites!

OK, so what's the consensus on Roz's echinoid?? Is it a new species? What genus can we attach it to at least (Domechinus?)? For the record someone is currently studying it as possibly a new species. I can take additional pics of MY "Roz" echinoid if anyone thinks it would help.

------------------------------

Cody, Roz is my fossil buddy just recently moved from Arkansas. Roz only got to hunt the "Mansfield Pit" 2 or 3 times near the end before they plowed it.

------------------------------

I hunted the Pit when it was still good and founds lots of really cool things. The section between the white chalky layers contained the vertebrate material. The upper gravel-y section was evidently reworked material (per observation of L.Jacobs) and contained lots of shark and ptychodus teeth as well as bits of mammalian (horse? bison?) teeth which may indicate the Period of the redepositing. As long as the big area is left open to rain it may still produce some great stuff.

I've met JustinN at the Pit and also Don Reaser (geologist) while hunting out there.

Roz are you friends with lance hall.And did u happen to hunt the mansfield "pit" when it was around??

Sure want to thank everyone. I just heard from the man at the museum.

Turns out it has more in common with the LeFortia group, and mine will go in

there somewhere.

Thanks again

Hey MB, I like that name! :D

Welcome to the forum!