Close Echinoids

MB

MB:

Love the echinoid collection. Echinoids are my favorite of favorite fossils! Is the specimen in photograph 22 Goniopygus delphinensis Cotteau from the Aptian strata? I noticed the 4 perianal tubercles in the apical system. I have 3 specimens of this species along with 2 specimens of Codiopsis lorini Cotteau from the Aptian near Morella that I had received in a trade a year or so ago.

Mike

MB:

Love the echinoid collection. Echinoids are my favorite of favorite fossils! Is the specimen in photograph 22 Goniopygus delphinensis Cotteau from the Aptian strata? I noticed the 4 perianal tubercles in the apical system. I have 3 specimens of this species along with 2 specimens of Codiopsis lorini Cotteau from the Aptian near Morella that I had received in a trade a year or so ago.

Mike

Hi Mike, yes, you are right, delphinensis,but this one is 30' urchin, from isochrone formation. You can see as well the holes of its eyes !!!

Morella urchins are 120' urchins from my home, and if you love them, here is some photos. in advance of 120' echinoids, of the outcrops of your delphinensis and lorini you have, and other urchins from there.

I hope you enjoy them.

Have a nice day

post-41-1204363918_thumb.jpg

post-41-1204363955_thumb.jpg

post-41-1204363988_thumb.jpg

post-41-1204364013_thumb.jpg

post-41-1204364041_thumb.jpg

post-41-1204364064_thumb.jpg

You have some A one echinoids, now stop that collecting

over there, or there won't be any washing out over here! :P

Welcome to the forum!

• 2 months later...

MB

You sure are lucky to find such a huge variety and in such excellent condition.

Is it because you are digging them from the matrix and they haven't been

laying around, exposed for long? Do you have to air scribe all of them?

The challenge here is to find in good shape. I might find one with very good

detail on the top but then the rest is shot, or the bottom is intact but the

top is well worn....

Welcome to the forum!

Wonderful detail; quite beautiful!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

MB

You sure are lucky to find such a huge variety and in such excellent condition.

Is it because you are digging them from the matrix and they haven't been

laying around, exposed for long? Do you have to air scribe all of them?

The challenge here is to find in good shape. I might find one with very good

detail on the top but then the rest is shot, or the bottom is intact but the

top is well worn....

Roz, the fact is that this echinoid is very hard to find, and I was very lucky to go it from the cut, so not exposed. Any mechanical work on it, I prepped it with hydroxid of potassium scales, very caustic !!! then, a little bit of soft acid to neutralised it.

its name is Cottaldia royoi, from spanish aptian. :)

Hi all,

Just two words for reporting the last fossil week end, placid and with familiy, we were walking on local roman ruines, and I were watching ont he rocks around the ruines, and that I know since all my life, but what a surprise !!! :o for first time on this rocks, I found and nce and elusive Schizechinus duciei and with a good size :) was a perfect day.

other find of this day was this Galeocerdo aduncus, :rolleyes:

post-41-1210405552_thumb.jpg

post-41-1210405579_thumb.jpg

Crabs everywhere, tons of echinoids... MB i would definitively love to plan a trip to your area to visit you and see your collection. If it would be possible we could also have a look to some local outcrops!!.

PS: are there also trilobites in your collection? if so, i would love to see them!!

Greetings, Jose

Crabs everywhere, tons of echinoids... MB i would definitively love to plan a trip to your area to visit you and see your collection. If it would be possible we could also have a look to some local outcrops!!.

PS: are there also trilobites in your collection? if so, i would love to see them!!

Greetings, Jose

I'm waiting your visit ;)

Greetings, Jose

txemi, this one came from where you are living now.... :rolleyes:

post-41-1211445859_thumb.jpg

post-41-1211445901_thumb.jpg

I find lots of echinoids too, but my average round trip drive is about 400 miles to get them, and they come from all over Texas. You are fortunate to have such variety and quality so close to home.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Beautiful Echinoids You all, love looking at them, wish I had some in my back yard to find.

Excellent Codiopsis MB.

I thought that quarry was exhausted.

Regards

the only one I have, I got a little bit of time to prep it...and you can see... I'm happy.

I dont know the quarry, I had this one from a friend who are living very close to you.

Happy hunting

:)

MB that nice echinoid encourages me to try hunting something this weekend after the heavy rains. I hope to be lucky and i will inform you here if i get something.

Greetings

Yesterday i was visiting one of the famous localities close to my area ( 10 kms) and even when it is extremely difficult to find something, after the heavy rains i was relatively lucky and i found these guys!!!

post-269-1211711618_thumb.jpg

post-269-1211711636_thumb.jpg

post-269-1211711654_thumb.jpg

post-269-1211711671_thumb.jpg

Yesterday i was visiting one of the famous localities close to my area ( 10 kms) and even when it is extremely difficult to find something, after the heavy rains i was relatively lucky and i found these guys!!!

What is the name of that first echinoid, and could you tell me

how high and about how wide it is? And is there anyway you

could take a pic of the other side of that first one, unless

there is not a small opening on the other side.

Welcome to the forum!

What is the name of that first echinoid, and could you tell me

how high and about how wide it is? And is there anyway you

could take a pic of the other side of that first one, unless

there is not a small opening on the other side.

It is a conoclypeus vilanovae from the eocene. The second pictures is from the ventral view and the damage that it shows in this view is also affecting a bit the above view. In the picture, it is in the opposite site so it is not possible to see it.