Beach fossil identification

pugrockprincess

Hey everyone! I have a great selection of fossils at home but I still lack a great knowledge of my most local fossils. I rarely find more than Devil toenails here in the UK but have come across quite a few on my travels today. Initially they caught my eye because they look like my orthoceras but I also have crinoids that have similar markings. There are thousands on the beach with fresh finds every day. If anyone could confirm what I've found it'd be much appreciated. I assume I have a collection of various plant fossils? :)

Screenshot_20190413-190243__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190413-190249__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190413-190254__01.jpg

With the exception of the last two pieces you are holding in hand (likely horn coral, in addition to the largest piece you are holding in the first image and the lowest piece in pic 2), it seems you hit the crinoid stem jackpot. :) So, none are plants (corals and crinoids are animals), but some very nicely sized cross-sections here!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you! Yes, I wasn't sure how to categorize them as I've always thought of coral as animals but as I collect a lot of trilobites and fish these always seem less animated in comparison! There are literally thousands of these, there were only so many I could pocket at the time! Most crinoids available to purchase are star shaped which I think added to my confusion! There are some rocks that are just a little too big to transport, and I don't want to steal them all so others can't enjoy them, but my heart wants them all...

Is is possible there are many varieties, or are these all the same crinoids just fossilised slightly differently? There seem to be three main shapes that are embedded in the rocks, some that look like my orthoceras, some that look like teeth, and some that are concaved each side with less detail :)

Screenshot_20190413-193409__01.jpg

21 minutes ago, pugrockprincess said:

Is is possible there are many varieties, or are these all the same crinoids just fossilised slightly differently? There seem to be three main shapes that are embedded in the rocks, some that look like my orthoceras, some that look like teeth, and some that are concaved each side with less detail :)

Screenshot_20190413-193409__01.jpg

Your specimens (including the corals) all seem to be from the Carboniferous period (which are mostly round sectioned) and may be from a few species. It's hard to identify bits with any confidence and there's a lot of variation across one individual. 

As well as stems (whose appearance can change from top to bottom), there may be side-branches (cirri and anchoring "roots") and arms from the head. The sub-rectangular piece, which doesn't seem to be subdivided, may be a plate from the cup.

Image from:http://northtexasfossils.com/2007-01-27.htm

5cb230da9a4c0_Screenshot2019-04-13at19_54_34.thumb.png.d8b9700caae77715e0263d751f621ee5.png

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

22 minutes ago, pugrockprincess said:

Love them rocks and stems! There are four sub classes of crinoids: Comatulida, Articulata, Inadunata, Flexibilia. This could explain the different shapes. Also the weathering of the rocks effect the shapes and patterns visible in the rocks.

Here is a good link to read about crinoids. https://www.fossils-facts-and-finds.com/crinoids.html

• I found this Informative 2

Fantastic information, thank you all! I have one last day there tomorrow and will make the most of it. There's plenty of glass of all colours and sea pottery too which normally doesn't bother me but collectively they are beautiful!

Nice finds! :)

Indeed, crinoid stem pieces and some solitary rugose 'horn' corals from the Lower Carboniferous.

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 months later...

Some nice sea glass there, as well.  Do you ever create anything with it, or do you enjoy it as-is?