Potomac River near Purse

Ted37

Spent a part of the day on the Potomac River. Found a vert of some sort. I believe possibly Alligator. Any info is appreciated.  Also, is there a rule of thumb for the size of a vert approximates the length of the subject. I know I have heard a one inch shark tooth approximates a 10 foot shark. I had little luck with teeth except for the usual small stuff. I found a neat looking rock. I don't think its a fossil. Then a piece of iron or something. Here are some pics. IMG_20190602_200005923.thumb.jpg.9ab3b5bcdad082ee638ae54f391e5bef.jpg

IMG_20190602_195955262.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The second rock pick above has a nickel at the top of the pic, to show its approximate size. Here is one more pic I had of the vert.IMG_20190602_200036415.thumb.jpg.3714011c26d4cd538fcd557680b0dd05.jpg

Perhaps it is positioning, but the vertebra lacks the typical “ball and socket” of  reptilian vertebrae. The heart shape reminds me of a sirenian vert but you shouldn’t find those in Paleocene (which is what Purse is). If you were down river towards the bay, I would guess this is a miocene vert.

Edited by WhodamanHD
Grammatical error

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

42 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Perhaps it is positioning, but the vertebra lacks the typical “ball and socket” of a reptilian vertebrae. The heart shape reminds me of a sirenian vert but you shouldn’t find those in Paleocene (which is what Purse is). If you were down river towards the bay, I would guess this is a miocene vert.

Wait, you're a 'youth member'?  Impressive

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

7 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Wait, you're a 'youth member'?  Impressive

Thank you, though I admit it may be due to taking time I should be doing actual homework to study things which I find vastly more interesting. I am 16. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hello, Thank you for the response. However, when I look closely I do see the ball and socket, just worn down. It was up river towards Douglas Point. When I look up google images of  alligator vertebrae fossils, I see what looks very similar to what I had found, including the heart shaped socket ( I see it worn down in the 2nd pic). Also, when I look up in Google alligators in the Paleocene there appears to be some. For example, one I found in the wiki,  Wannaganosuchus. I am not saying that is what I have, but to me it looks like a worn alligator vert (but of course it could be something else) I does look very worn with parts broken off, however, I am new to fossils. Anyway, Ill have to do more research. Maybe, I will get some more responses to the post. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thank you, though I admit it may be due to taking time I should be doing actual homework to study things which I find vastly more interesting. I am 16. 

@WhodamanHD Wouldn't post secondary education allow a 16 year old to study things that are interesting?? Just a thought for a very knowledgeable young man.

1 hour ago, Ted37 said:

Hello, Thank you for the response. However, when I look closely I do see the ball and socket, just worn down. It was up river towards Douglas Point. When I look up google images of  alligator vertebrae fossils, I see what looks very similar to what I had found, including the heart shaped socket ( I see it worn down in the 2nd pic). Also, when I look up in Google alligators in the Paleocene there appears to be some. For example, one I found in the wiki,  Wannaganosuchus. I am not saying that is what I have, but to me it looks like a worn alligator vert (but of course it could be something else) I does look very worn with parts broken off, however, I am new to fossils. Anyway, Ill have to do more research. Maybe, I will get some more responses to the post. Thanks again. 

I have had the fortune of finding an alligator vertebra at Purse. Though there are no described Paleocene alligators at Purse, they are certainly present. Or at least that’s what I’ve been told. Here’s a poster on crocodilians of the Aquia formation (typical of Purse and Douglas point). It doesn’t focus on verts though. Perhaps @MarcoSr can offer his insights here, he knows them better than I.

E2F9F8A8-3459-4DF8-8474-8BA62A9C0E4D.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@WhodamanHD Wouldn't post secondary education allow a 16 year old to study things that are interesting?? Just a thought for a very knowledgeable young man.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have done some online college course on things I find interesting (paleoanthropology, paleontology, bioarchaeology, etc). I’ve enjoyed them thus far! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I have had the fortune of finding an alligator vertebra at Purse. Though there are no described Paleocene alligators at Purse, they are certainly present. Or at least that’s what I’ve been told. Here’s a poster on crocodilians of the Aquia formation (typical of Purse and Douglas point). It doesn’t focus on verts though. Perhaps @MarcoSr can offer his insights here, he knows them better than I.

The vert in this post looks mammal to me, possibly deer.

@WhodamanHD  How do you know that your vert is alligator? 

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

@MarcoSr Thanks for the reply. I googled some deer verts and does have some similarities and certainly may be one. However, when I google the alligator verts, it looks more like an alligator vert then a deer vert to my simple untrained eyes. It does look like a fossil though (and not modern), do you agree? Are alligator verts absolutely impossible to be found at Purse?

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

@WhodamanHD  How do you know that your vert is alligator? 

I showed it to Dr. Weems at an MGS meeting, he gave it a look and said he thought it might be from one of the alligators based on the size and positioning. It will be going to the CMM when I find time to get there, and I’ll probably ask them what they think. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, Ted37 said:

@MarcoSr Thanks for the reply. I googled some deer verts and does have some similarities and certainly may be one. However, when I google the alligator verts, it looks more like an alligator vert then a deer vert to my simple untrained eyes. It does look like a fossil though (and not modern), do you agree? Are alligator verts absolutely impossible to be found at Purse?

The weight is a better gauge of a fossil vertebra for me versus how it looks.  A fossil vertebra is heavier than a modern one.  I can't get weight from pictures.  I just don't see a ball and socket in the pictures.  I've found a number of really worn croc vertebrae at Purse but the ball and socket were always still very evident.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I showed it to Dr. Weems at an MGS meeting, he gave it a look and said he thought it might be from one of the alligators based on the size and positioning. It will be going to the CMM when I find time to get there, and I’ll probably ask them what they think. 

I would definitely go with what Rob told you.

Marco Sr.

14 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

that sounds familiar...

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana