FYI @Ptychodus04 @Kittenmittens @mamlambo @Fossilis Willis @Malcolmt @DevonianDigger

Well managed to get out last Friday to dig up some Green River fish from the split fish layers. These layers aren't nice and hard like the 18 inch, nor are the rarer fish as obtainable (they don't preserve as well), but you can still find some pretty cool stuff. A family next to me found a foot long Phareodus in perfect condition with a dark red color (forgot to take a picture of that). I don't think they realize just how lucky they are because those are not easy to find. The night before it rained a ton so I had a hard time getting to the quarry. The oily lime based rock wouldn't split properly until about noon but I hauled some decent Knightia's out. These aren't your prized, rare, fish but they are still a blast to dig up. Pulled out about fifty and worked all day.

With all the mud and rain I seriously didn't think anyone would show up but Friday was very busy. About fifty in total came. The morning was tough. Lots of muddy rock to split and it just didn't want to split evenly. Everything would crumble on me. As you can see in the picture below things were muddy and wet.

Image may contain: sky, beach, outdoor and nature

This Knightia has some pretty nice curves. :wub:

t1Lgk2.jpg

Another curvaceous fossil. I'm in love.

w0w5M2.jpg

The split fish come in their varieties. Usually I only keep the ones that are completely filled in then put a sealant over them. This one looks alright considering it's a bit patchy.

x7crc2.jpg

This one will be fun to prepare with my new CP9361 and some very careful handling of the scribe.

CtJdN2.jpg

This is one of my A grade Knightia's from the trip. Great color. The tail can be teased out a bit more. I really like how the vertebrae pop out in a 3D manner.

image.png

Keep on fossiling!

• I found this Informative 10

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Very nice!! The green river formation is on my bucket list...a weekend digging would make me a happy man 

Very nice ... probably another bucket list locality that I will never get to.......

Nice finds, Jason.  :) 

Please remember to keep sales and trades to their specific Forums. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, gieserguy said:

Where did you go for this hunt? I would love to hit the Green River some day

American Fossil Quarry in Kemmerer Wyoming.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

48 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

American Fossil Quarry in Kemmerer Wyoming.

I’ll have to check that out, thanks!

Even though I gave up on the split fish digging many years ago I do know the fun your having.  Way back when I use to bring elmers glue by the gallon and mix it with water in a big 10 gallon tub and then give all the fish I kept a dunk in the mixed glue!  Seems funny now.   Would have loved to see the Phereodus!  There are some realy nice fish in those split fish layers.

RB

Those are some pretty fish. I can't wait to get my estwing into some of that GRF.