Member of the Month - July 2019 - Manticocerasman

Kane

Welcome to the sultry days of summer.  Hopefully everyone on this side of the equator is getting out to collect, enjoying the warmth, and having a fabulous time on the BBQ circuit with friends and family. The days are longer, the beaches are packed, and the A/C is getting cranked. And with all this lovely weather, it is also time to announce our member of the month!

By unanimous staff decision, this month's crown goes to: 

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1: Manticocerasman:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Our great Belgian friend has been with us since 2015, and if he is known for one of many things it would be those gigantic goniatites! He and his intrepid partner Natalie81 have delighted our membership with their travels near and far, digging in locations that some of us can only dream of. He also has a long track record here of being friendly and highly informative. His familiarity with the paleo literature on cephalopods is only matched by his deep knowledge of the strata he explores in order to pluck extraordinary specimens. Supportive, helpful, and of great demeanour, he is an all-round upstanding member. Plato once remarked that one should strive to distinguish themselves by age 40; our MOTM has certainly distinguished himself among us already. :) 

Congratulations Manticocerasman! Wear this Crown with pride, as you have earned it!

On behalf of the staff here on TFF, congratulations!

Please tell us your story - how you came to fossils, and how you came to TFF!

• I found this Informative 10

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Congrats Manticocerasman, dangerous competitor to Monica’s game ! :heartylaugh:

I appreciate your interventions here and your work on your ammonites.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congratulations,Kev(fontsize#=Supernova extra bold,$ fontsize 3 parsecs,)

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations!! :yay-smiley-1:  And, thank you for vicariously including us on your fossil hunting adventures.  I really enjoy seeing and learning about the places you and Natalie collect, although I admit your finds :wub: :wub: :wub:often make me a little (or a lot) envious.

Don

Congrats! Regale us if you would on the backstory of how your passion for fossils evolved and how you found TFF.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, Coco said:

Congrats Manticocerasman, dangerous competitor to Monica’s game ! :heartylaugh:

I appreciate your interventions here and your work on your ammonites.

Coco

Thx Coco / Merci Coco :D

3 hours ago, Natalie81 said:

:yay-smiley-1: Congratulations! 

thx honney :P

2 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Congratulations

Thank you TyBoy  :)

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

Congratulations,Kev(fontsize#=Supernova extra bold,$ fontsize 3 parsecs,)

Thx Ben :D 

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Very well deserved congratulations 

Thank you Troodon 

59 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

:thumbsu:

thx :)

46 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Congratulations!! :yay-smiley-1:  And, thank you for vicariously including us on your fossil hunting adventures.  I really enjoy seeing and learning about the places you and Natalie collect, although I admit your finds :wub: :wub: :wub:often make me a little (or a lot) envious.

Don

Thank you don :)  I'm happy you are enjoying our adventures so much :D

41 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow brilliant,  congratulations very well deserved   :yay-smiley-1:

Thx Bobby :D

1 minute ago, digit said:

Congrats! Regale us if you would on the backstory of how your passion for fossils evolved and how you found TFF.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you Ken :)

as far as my story goes :headscratch:

I've been collecting fossils since I was 12 years old, my dad suported my interest and sometimes took me to fossiliferous locations in the Ardennes, and during hollydays in France.

Later I often went on field trips organised through the museum in Brussel.

I had always a soft spot for cephalopods, but they used to be hard to find in Belgium due to very few Jurrasic and Cretaceous deposits .

It is only the last 4 years with the expansion of a certain quarry with devonian deposits that started to yield a diversified cephalopod fauna that I concentrated my hunts on goniatites.

But those deposits deliver far mor than just cephalopods, most of the devonian marine fauna can be found here including fish remains, I've found a few of those over al my fieldtrips there, and donated them all to the Institute in Brussels, If all goes well in the future there will be a publication on them since they are mostly undescribed. 

Cheers

Kevin

• I found this Informative 12

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hey Kevin - congratulations!!! :D:D 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Kevin, your journey to this point has benefited many beyond those you know.  May your future hold more enjoyable discoveries that we get the chance to glimpse.

:fistbump:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Congrats Kevin!!! Definitely well-deserved! :thumbsu:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I admit your finds often make me a little (or a lot) envious.

Same here, especially because I often go to similar locations and he ends up with way better fossils :P 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

59 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

If all goes well in the future there will be a publication on them since they are mostly undescribed. 

We love hearing stories of non-professional fossil hunters working with academia to further the existing knowledge of the fossils of which we are so fond. Possibly, you'll have an honor even grander than a TFF MOTM (which is pretty special ;)) and have a new species named for you or Natalie. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Congratulations!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Congradulations! :D 

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

Congratulations, Kevin! :dinothumb:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Congratulations, Kevin!!! I love seeing all of the cephalopods that you and Natalie find :wub::ammonite01::wub::ammonite01::wub::ammonite01:

Congratulations Kevin!:yay-smiley-1::megdance::dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.