Machairodus lower jaw?

Darko

Hi everyone!

I need help!  I Will have this specimens in a few weeks.The biggest one is Machairodus horibilis lower jaw, i hope so. I got these stuff from my friend from China. Also, as u can see there is a lower canine from a Cave Hyena. But it's somehow long and tick for a Hyena canine. I don't know what to think about the lower jaw, it's more similar to canids and Hyenas then to felids. And yes, at the end phalanx of ferret?

If someone can help somehow to determine this, that Will help me a lot to know what's the real truth.

Thanks guys again!

Darko

IMG_20190630_211906_242.jpg

IMG_20190630_211903_550.jpg

IMG_20190626_183459_632.jpg

IMG_20190626_183502_442.jpg

I can't help with the identification, but they are very nice specimens.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

13 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I can't help with the identification, but they are very nice specimens.

thanks

I don’t have any opinions on the tooth or jaw fragment, but are you saying the third bone (the rectangular one) is from a ferret?  It is an astragalus bone and if it is from a ferret, that would be a huge ferret (like the size of a large dog)!  I’m not sure what the astragalus of a cave hyena looks like, but the size is about right. 

The lower jaw fragment seems to belong to Machairodus.  For the tooth, it looks like it belongs to Felis.  And I am not sure about the small bone.

I am not getting a cat feel here, I really think the jaw section and canine are from a Miocene Hyena from China.

Oddly enough, I have kept this tooth since I was about 9 years old. Bought in a shop in Los Angeles that was labeled as "Tiger tooth".

I have always had my doubts about it and have often thought it was just a modern dog tooth from an unfortunate demise.

20190703_191409.jpg

20190703_191432.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

The lower jaw fragment seems to belong to Machairodus.  For the tooth, it looks like it belongs to Felis.  And I am not sure about the small bone.

Thank you for having a look  :thumbsu:

On 4.7.2019. at 2:03 AM, Crazyhen said:

But look at the teeth, they are more similar to Canids and Hyenas than to big cats...Idk what to think...

On 4.7.2019. at 3:43 AM, Nimravis said:

I am not getting a cat feel here, I really think the jaw section and canine are from a Miocene Hyena from China.

But which species? Pachrycrocuta,Percrocuta ?

On 7/2/2019 at 8:29 PM, ClearLake said:

I don’t have any opinions on the tooth or jaw fragment, but are you saying the third bone (the rectangular one) is from a ferret?  It is an astragalus bone and if it is from a ferret, that would be a huge ferret (like the size of a large dog)!  I’m not sure what the astragalus of a cave hyena looks like, but the size is about right. 

That's not a hyena astragulus.  It's from an artiodactyl (even-toed hoofed mammal).

On 7/3/2019 at 6:43 PM, Nimravis said:

I agree.  That looks more like one of those smaller "running hyenas."  Those teeth are all premolars.  Cats don't have that many.

@fossillarry

• I found this Informative 2

13 hours ago, siteseer said:

I agree.  That looks more like one of those smaller "running hyenas."  Those teeth are all premolars.  Cats don't have that many.

@fossillarry

I knew it !