Unidenified Devonian Crinoid from Bardstown, KY.

Jeffrey P

I found this fossil a couple of years ago while collecting in the Bardstown,. KY area with TFF member Herb. The bedrock was Devonian, I believe Sellersburg Limestone, Beechwood Member. The specimen is just under an inch and a half long. It appears to be some type of crinoid-arms/stem pieces. I am in the process of organizing my specimens and having this properly labeled would great. Any help with the ID would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

IMG_4031.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

You have a silicified nodule/geode and not a fossil. Silicified geodes are common in Devonian/Mississippian rocks in Kentucky, Keokuk, Iowa and the north of Payson, Arizona area. Some researchers think that they are silicified anhydride nodules that were deposited in ancient salt flats near the ocean.

The meandering ridges of closely spaced subparallel plates are diagnostic of anhydride nodules.

See picture of a 3.5 inch one from Payson, Arizona.

6C2ACD84-B4F2-47C7-9149-A71A63414097.jpeg

Also, see this good article taking special note of figure 4: 

"The Gee!-Ode" What a weird hide, With such joy inside!

by Bob Jarrett

https://www.gamineral.org/writings/geodes-jarrett.html

FF651C78-7DCF-4AB7-956E-5737872CDCC2.png

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I agree. It looks very geode-ish to me. :unsure:

Unless you can show some closeups of something we may be missing. 

I’ve seen geodes in the Kentucky area ranging in all different sizes. I have examples from and inch or so in diameter to over a foot.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Here is a small one that I found recently. I mistook it for a crinoid calyx when I first picked it up. Turned out to be a geode with attached/embedded crinoid stems. 

A46D2B1E-6532-4694-BCC8-111578CA7368.thumb.jpeg.b72c8822150ca8203d9b1e6fdd65630c.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Great specimen of that type of mineral -- a keeper!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!