Would this rock have fossils?

Paulie777

This is a very large boulder and it is layered. I took off a few layers and found nothing. I was wondering how old this boulder is and should I keep digging into it. Thanks for your help in advance.

dBV74.thumb.jpeg.87989073789d678210d2102ac679cd3d.jpeg

While it is a sedimentary rock (coarse sandstone to be specific), so your question is valid, it's the coarse-grained texture of the rock that is not conducive to fossil preservation.  I have seen exceptions, but it's unlikely.

Fine-grained shales and of course limestones are better targets

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Knowing the location of the rock would be needed to determine if fossils have been found in the area and to get an idea of how old it is. If it has been relocated, knowing the original location would be necessary.

It does appear to be sedimentary rock, which is great for finding fossils, but not all sedimentary rock contains fossils. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

21 hours ago, Paulie777 said:

I was wondering how old this boulder is and should I keep digging into it.

Maybe is Middle Devonian (Givetian) from the Genesee Group? :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library